RAM issues

HoboKa

Are you on 32-bit Windows? You can't allocate more than 2 gigs to a single program on a 32-bit OS. I don't think it's a problem within FL Studio 10 as I just finished up a project that took up 3.5 gigs of RAM.

E: I guess I am using the extended memory thing though, so maybe that is what's causing it. Beats having to upgrade your OS.

You can also use the 64bit versions of your plugins, bridged. I usually only have to do this with one instance of something big (like Kontakt) to get the memory usage back in reasonable limits.

I don't think that Philharmonic has that option to use a 64bit version, prob cuz that's the only format it runs in. However, I did try bridging them (and using the extended memory of FL) and I did get better results, but now I get some kinda weird popping, crackling sounds, and I have an example track to show you guys what I mean =(

http://www.mediafire.com/?zw9wsh14e18bc89

EDIT

the issue is most prevalent at 1:28-1:48 or so.

I dunno if you have plugins that are taking up lots of memory. If you know you have some plugins that take up lots of memory, and you know you don't actually need them, take them out. :D I think porting your libraries to MIDI Outs might help too. For example, maybe Kontakt instances take up memory for both the library and Kontakt itself. Not sure since I'm not home.

I dunno if you have plugins that are taking up lots of memory. If you know you have some plugins that take up lots of memory, and you know you don't actually need them, take them out. :D I think porting your libraries to MIDI Outs might help too. For example, maybe Kontakt instances take up memory for both the library and Kontakt itself. Not sure since I'm not home.

Yeah..I can't have 2 many programs running at once - even if they are idle =/...could be cuz I'm using an older version of FL10.

Is disk streaming when you use the Bridge feature??

On a side note, it looks like all of my IK products (like Sampletank) have the same issues...

Sampletank for one doesn't have disk streaming.

It means that just a small portion of the samples is loaded into the RAM and the rest is streamed from your hd. It frees up RAM and eats CPU. When you largely work with samples and loads of them, it's always preferable.

Sampletank for one doesn't have disk streaming.

It means that just a small portion of the samples is loaded into the RAM and the rest is streamed from your hd. It frees up RAM and eats CPU. When you largely work with samples and loads of them, it's always preferable.

Hmm, k I'll look into disk streaming further. Thanks =D

Np.

Btw, i remember using sampletank with 2gb and getting along just fine. It's made to run on DAWs from a decade ago, and the RAM footprint mirrors that.

Philharmonic in the sampletank engine is a different beast. The individual sounds are much larger.

Truth be told, selling that library with a non-disk streaming rompler was a bit of a crap move.

Wouldn't matter that much if you could use your 8gb.

I was under the impression that the 4gb limit is set in stone and that the bridging only helps with multicore support, but i'm possibly wrong. If you can get all your RAM to work for FL/bridged plugins, you should be fine.

Also, determine if the crackling happens just with bridging, just with 64bit plugins, just with the 4gb FL exe. Change one parameter at a time and see what causes it...

The crackling is from excessive CPU load and getting near the RAM max. If you're constantly at 98+%, you just might get crackling in your rendered songs as well.

Well, if hobo is maxing both his ram and cpu he shouldn't be surprised about the crackling.

Bridging 64bit plugins should help the CPU (utilise multicore support), while disk streaming should free up RAM at the expense of CPU. Maxing out both at the same time is rare in my experience, because usually, my projects are either more sample heavy or have more live processing (synths). I guess you could push it by putting loads and loads of vst effects over the samples.

One more thing: adjust latency if stuff starts crackling. You cannot run a project that is fully taxing your system at 7ms latency or so.

Well, if hobo is maxing both his ram and cpu he shouldn't be surprised about the crackling.

Bridging 64bit plugins should help the CPU (utilise multicore support), while disk streaming should free up RAM at the expense of CPU. Maxing out both at the same time is rare in my experience, because usually, my projects are either more sample heavy or have more live processing (synths). I guess you could push it by putting loads and loads of vst effects over the samples.

One more thing: adjust latency if stuff starts crackling. You cannot run a project that is fully taxing your system at 7ms latency or so.

Yeah so basically IK Philharmonic (nor the FL processing) has no real options to reduce RAM or CPU usage for it (bridging doesn't work either). Pretty big dick move indeed. Looks like if I intend to use Philharmonic I'm gonna have to keep my projects small and/or render it in .wavs - what a pain lol. Thanks for all the suggestions Nase and everyone else.