*NO* Halo 3 'Reclaimer'

DragonAvenger

[ReMixer name: Homeslice

User ID: 46434

Games arranged: Halo 3 (The voice sample included is from Halo: Reach)

Arrangement name: Reclaimer

Original song arranged: "One Final Effort"

Inspiration: Not really sure to be honest... I had absolutely no idea what I wanted out of this remix, I'd just started playing around with FM modulation and thought "hey, why not desecrate Halo's fantastically whimsical soundtrack?" and then this happened...

Link:

---------

What do you mean whimsical soundtrack :P. Although I get your desire to desecrate things.

Lots of different things going on here. The wubs are very controlled, with some good synth work going on here.

I'm having a few problems with the amount of source in here though. If I'm being honest, the wubs don't feel particularly connected to the source. The only overtly 'Halo' sections to me are:

0:48-1:07

2:08-3:18

Which is only like... 90 seconds of the track. Going by Larry's lame 50% (which I think is too low anyway), there's just not enough of the track related to the source in my opinion. You could argue that the wubs fit the chords, but it's too tenuous for me.

NO, excellent but needs moar sauce

This really is solidly produced, great full sounds and clear soundscape. Some power and a lot of interesting textures and synths.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with my comrades, I am not hearing enough dominant Halo source in here. Maybe a 4th judge can swoop in and show us the source we may be missing, but I have a feeling that it's just a bit too liberal for the site.

No

I think I'll take a look and also holler at Homeslice. If you're looking for the most obvious stuff, it definitely came across as light on the source usage, but we'll see what's up. On the production level, it seemed like a sure thing, but the source usage has gotta be there.

I'm LOLing at Fishy though; you don't like the at least 50% source usage guidance, but you're leaning on it, so that makes me smile like the Grinch. Why would you make the source material requirement higher than that? Go eat a Digestive. :-P

EDIT (2/1): On second thought, I'm confident making a call on this without needing to ask Joshua. As everyone else has said, the production's impeccable, aside from the thin, mechanical piano sample during some exposed moments.

Which leaves it down to source usage for an arrangement pass. I'm basically hearing what everyone else heard. This was a 262-second-long arrangement, so I needed at least 131 seconds of overt source usage for the source tune to be dominant in the arrangement.

:46.5-1:08, 1:56-2:02.25, 2:08.5-3:19, 3:40.5-3:46.25 = 104 seconds or 39.69%

If there's something that all 4 of us have somehow completely overlooked from either "One Final Effort" or maybe another Halo track was also used, it's far from obvious, but just let us know Joshua and we can revisit this decision. That said, we all know your music sounds awesome, and this was pretty polished on the production side, but the source material needs to be the dominant in the arrangement, otherwise it's a no-go. Do improve the piano too, if you can, though it's not necessary.

NO (resubmit)