The Witcher 3 Announced! ...Formally!

Garpocalypse

The first Witcher is one of my favorite RPGs ever. I'm working my way through the second one, but it's not capturing me the same way.

I picked up both games back over the summer and sunk 40 something hours into the first one. Some of the most god awful combat and busted dialogue i've ever seen in a game but for some reason i loved it. It was probably the soundtrack.

I'm a few hours into the second one and the changes they made to it are stunning. The combat is not perfect but on the plus side i've died several times trying to figure out what i need to do. Mass Effect didn't kill me once! I'm tired of player pandering! I want to die once in awhile! ...but not in a Dark Souls having your finger nails pulled out kind of way!

As for the score of the second one I can't say a whole lot yet but it doesn't seem to have the folk influences of the first one. More like generic film score music that is getting too common. Hopefully that won't be the case for the rest of the game.

I'm not even sure I can articulate why the second Witcher isn't grabbing me. The graphics are of course superior to the first. The story seems pretty good so far. I dunno. I find the mouse cursor to be kind of sluggish, that is actually irritating me a fair bit. All the components and shit are kind of overwhelming. Come to think of it, I don't particularly dig the GUI, the text is too small (christ I feel old). It seems to be a combination of small things, really.

Ya know, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like the first one is better. I'm not sure that I could totally put my finger on it either, but I feel like the second one is too... Mainstream? I don't mean that in a hipster sort of way, but everything seemed to have been made a bit too much like every other game I ever played, like Assassins Creed or Mass Effect or something, whereas it felt a little more unique in the first Witcher. That, and they abandoned that amazing crabwalk stance thing he had in the first one....