OCR02816 - *YES* Dark Cloud 2 'Fishing Spirit'

Palpable

ReMixer name: Moomba

Game arranged: Dark Cloud 2 (Dark Chronicle)

Name of arrangement: Fishing Spirit

Individual track arranged: Peace of the World (

)

Comments:

A while ago I did an extensive writeup on MMORPGs and one of the subjects I'd intended to bring up - but never actually did - was fishing. Whenever I think of fishing in games I always inevitably fall back on Dark Chronicle as my example of the game with what I consider to be the best fishing system. I'm pretty sure at least some of that can be chalked up to the fantastic (and highly underrated going by the fact there's only one related remix on OCR) music that went along with it. This ReMix was actually conceived while planning out some sketches for a trailer track I've been writing for a client. While putting ideas together, Peace of the World began to worm its way into stuff and so 'Fishing Spirit' was born. The title may be a terrible pun, but it's grown on me since a friend first suggested it!

Cheers!

---------------------------------------------

Love the source tune, one of my favorites from the game. I love how Joe took this and made it so much more dramatic. He totally sold me based on the strength of the arrangement and the intricacy of the partwriting, but the production was also solid. The key change towards the end was a small misstep IMO - it didn't flow that well - but he had earned more than enough goodwill by that point. Great work!

YES

Edited by djpretzel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was a bit worried on the string opening on how the production would fare, but my fears were soon allayed. Nice samples and balancing between parts. Loved the woodwind flourish at 2:30 - very nice touch.

Melodically, there isn't a ton changed from the original, however, things are fleshed out and expanded in supporting parts significantly.

Gotta agree with Vinnie on the key change. Not to say it doesn't fit, but the transition could definitely have been more effective.

Overall, really liking what I'm hearing here and having a little orchestral sample envy :). Solid stuff.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Love this source tune. Definitely used it as talking segment music during the VG Frequency days; it's nice to have on loop.

A little straightforward for the melodic side of the arrangement and the orchestral adaptation, and I thought the mixing sounded noticeably muddy for the densest parts possibly due to the drums. I'd really prefer another pass at that before it was posted, as I think Joe will look back on this one and agree it shouldn't quite sound this way. It feels pretty borderline to me, but I can get beyond it enough to not NO it on those grounds.

I liked the countermelodic writing added to the melody at 2:18; that was a late addition that was definitely needed badly or the melody would have been too repetitive. But yeah, I agreed with Vig that it's hard to fault the execution. The additive parts were good and the execution was there, even if the soundscape should have been cleaner.

Short and sweet, Joe gets it done here with a swanky approach here. The new part-writing and dynamic shifts here and there did a nice job extending the theme, and I think it's a solid treatment.

YES (borderline)

Great source! I really enjoyed how Joe expanded this one; the feel of the original is definitely kept and expanded on well here. The lightheartedness is expressed well in the staccato writing, and I definitely liked the expansion in the different instrumental parts. While I agree with the comments above (key change, some of the muddier sections), I don't think they are enough that this should be held back. Hope to hear more from you, Joe!

YES