loud bang when playing back file ?

so I'm gonna need to post more info on this, but here's my problem:

I decided to make a song using mostly drum loops and some bass samples, just to start making something and practice mixing. I'm having a good time when BANG it sounds like a gun goes off.I assume its some kind of feedback, but I can't figure out how to fix it. it happens seemingly at random, but mostly around louder parts like crash cymbals or transitions. I'm using ableton

Occasionally this happens to me in Sonar when I load too much into a project. The midi signals somehow get really confused and trigger everything at one time but usually only once i hit play.

Keep a limiter on your master track, and make sure everything is routed to the master, to avoid damage. You can also play with the buffer to see if that helps. Sometimes it works but I haven't found much for a solution to this.

EDIT: The best solution is probably to limit the amount of vsts you have running at a time. Freeze your synths to audio if you are not currently working on them and thaw them once you have something you want to change. Assuming it's a midi issue.

Edited by Garpocalypse

Not sure I can help, but I'm curious. What plugins are you using? Do you see anything in your mixer levels when it happens?

OK so i messed with it a bit, and found that its one of the audio channels thats popping. i think it might have something to do with the ping pong delay im using, but i could be wrong. as the pop has an echo to it. pluginwise, theres just some reverb, some drum compression and ping pong on the one audio channel. ill try removing it and see if i can get it to pop again. resetting the buffer helped too.

If the pop has an echo, then it happened in or before the echo effect. Check your signal chain working your way back... You can disable that echo and put another echo as the first effect in the chain, so that if the pop is from a different effect in the chain, it won't have an echo, but if it's in the echo or the samples/sampler, then you know to check those next.

Or you can just turn off all the effects on that track and see if it still pops.

Just turn down the master so it isn't clipping and if it has got to be loud at that exact moment, stick a limiter on it. But you have to know how to control the limiter, and the rest of your mix will be based around the limiter. So don't just throw it in there and assume that that will do it. Because it won't.

Unless this isn't your question, Es. :P