*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Adventure 2 & Yume Nikki 'This Is Your 'Freedom''

DragonAvenger

remixer name: urdailywater

name: Aaron Corbitt

Name of Games arranged: Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Yume Nikki

Name of Remix: This is Your 'Freedom'

Yume Nikki and my profile should be in the database by the time you get this

Mix:

Source(s):

- Sonic 2: Sky Chase Zone

- Sonic Adventure 2: Metal Harbor Zone

- Yume Nikki: FC World "Basement" (also found here as BGM_004: http://yumenikki.wikia.com/wiki/Soundtrack)

So to clear up a few things on this one first:

*It was originally a song as part of the Sonic Zone Remix competition, then it was called "Flying with You".

*I updated/remastered the song for my EP "Far Away" and renamed it "This is Your 'Freedom'" in the process (to fit in with the EP).

*I didn't intentionally use the Yume Nikki song in the remix. In fact, I didn't even realize that the harp pattern was Yume Nikki until I had listened to an earlier remix I did of the SAME exact source (BGM_004) that used the same exact harp pattern. It's just sped up a little bit.

Yup, that about covers that. This one was a lot of fun to make. Didn't spend to much time on it initially (about a week), but then I ended up spending a LOT of time to produce this thing after the competition.

There's something about trying to do cool stuff with reverb that just won't sound good on some earbuds/speakers. And that was the problem with this song really - I had to spend a lot of time trying to make it sound good on everything I could. Production can be tricky sometimes, especially with more atmospheric songs that tend to be heavy on mid range. Each element, IMO, works together in the end, and the relaxing beat melds well with the electronic elements and (of course) piano.

Hopefully you'll think the same!

Source Breakdown:

The harp pattern used pretty much throughout the song is the Yume Nikki source (sped up, and playing on two chords instead of just one).

It starts at :49.

Sky Chase Zone source is used at:

:24-40

1:00-1:32

3:00-3:16

Metal Harbor Zone

Straightforward from 1:50-3:00

note that I very very heavily arranged this source, so I only really use the first few seconds of the source and arrange from there

The rest is pretty much original. 134 seconds of source out of 240.

This is a very liberal song.

Nothing much else to say - enjoy the music! Also, if you like this, check out the EP I just released (at the time of submitting this).

http://urdailywater.bandcamp.com/album/far-away

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

dig your sound choice.

The writing is very simplistic and repetitive. Your strings play whole-note triads. You've got to mix it up a bit. The break is also overly simple, and that piano is not nuanced enough to warrant a solo.

The mix is okay but has some problems. The bass is overpowering at times, as is the ride.

NO

• 2 months later...

Ooofs. Yeah... this isn't clicking, IMO...

The writing is very simplistic and repetitive. Your strings play whole-note triads. You've got to mix it up a bit.

Yep. The dynamic curve was pretty flat here; this plods along most of the way was relatively sparse ideas. That was the most significant thing holding this back, IMO.

It's also worth pointing out that something sounds kind of dissonant when the "Sky Chase Zone" countermelody is in from 1:18-1:34 & 3:02-3:17.

The break is also overly simple, and that piano is not nuanced enough to warrant a solo.

Yep. Worth noting, the piano sample was serviceable, but the timing was too rigid throughout 1:50-2:24, undermining the emotion behind the writing.

The mix is okay but has some problems. The bass is overpowering at times, as is the ride.

I thought the bass was fine, but yep on the ride.

NO

• 1 month later...