Getting Started as a Vocalist

Xarnax42

I just posted in a thread by a vocalist who wants to share his voice with the community, but doesn't create music of his own, and figured this discussion was worth moving to a more active forum. While I've dabbled in mixing a bit, I've got a long ways to go, and I'm no lyricist anyway. The biggest hurdle, in my experience, is expanding the pool of demo tracks to show off my range and versatility. With some friends, persistence, and luck, I've managed to score a few cameos in others' compo tracks, and now have a couple pretty big collabs in the pipeline. Still, I'd love to get some advice on this:

What can an up-and-coming vocalist do to build a portfolio and get his/her name out there? What resources are available to give a good example of my voice without singing on top of another vocalist?

The one thing I've considered, thanks in large part to the NiGHTS album, is karaoke versions of vocal mixes. I can think of a whole host of reasons why some people might be opposed to this, so I'm also really curious about what the community thinks about that idea. Really any advice, anecdotes, and resources that budding singers could find useful, please post it here!

Hey Xarnax, it sounds like you're already on your way to making a portfolio. Take some of the best compo tracks you've sung on (with permission) and start there. A portfolio will always be a work in progress. You're in the right place to make more tracks too; god knows this site needs more singers. Keep vigilant for people who need singers and remind people of what you do without being annoying about it. In fact, making a thread like this has already put you in my mind in case I need a male singer. :grin: Keep updating the portfolio as you make better and better stuff. Hope this helps!

I'm no lyricist anyway.

Don't sell yourself short :P

Another thing you could do is add vocals over top of tracks. I remember you offering to do some choral style stuff over AiaDR when I said I was needing something of the sort, and even though I didn't end up using any vox whatsoever in the final version, don't let that stop you from mocking up your own version if you need it for a portfolio. I'm sure other's would be the same way, provided you ask them first