*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Love/Hate Relationship'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: KingTiger

Email Address:

Forum Userid: 13997

Link to Remix: http://stuff.kingtigermusic.com/music/remixes/KingTiger%20-%20Love_Hate%20Relationship%20%28For%20OCR%20Submission%29.mp3

Name of Game Arranged: Super Mario Bros. (NES)

Name of Arrangement: Love/Hate Relationship

Name of Individual Songs Arranged: Underworld Theme, Overworld Theme

Comments:

This ReMix is pretty liberal; it really gives new meaning to the word "arrangement" :P The main melody of the Underworld theme is played about 4x slower than the original song, and it's shifted back 2 beats to create an interesting syncopation. Some of the feedback I received on the WiP forums indicated that this may be too copy/paste, but that it still keeps things interesting by constantly introducing new elements.

I think I just about hit the nail on the head as far as how I originally envisioned this track sounding, which (I feel) is sometimes hard to accomplish. It's pretty groovy and apparently pretty mellow (according to some feedback). Whenever I make a remix, I try to make it not only significantly different from the original, but also significantly different from any other remixes that may exist. With that in mind, I chose a rather liberal path as the foundation of this track and tried to make lots of different embellishments to build intrigue. I honestly think this track is some of my best work, and I hope that the liberal-ness of it all doesn't keep it from passing the panel.

Thanks,

R. Corey Oltman

P.S. If my mix does not pass the panel, could you please leave the link for others to see? Thanks!

--------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision, song link retained by request

Creative approach, but this track definitely needs some more attention to some of the writing details. The groove is quite repetitive, and the pads are way too droning. You don't want any particular element to be holding such long notes, it sucks the movement from the track. Give it some more rhythmic variation!

NO

• 1 month later...

Some generic-sounding instrumentation pads and a vanilla lead synth opened things up, though once the track got fuller at :42, the textures were OK. The soundscape was a little swamped, but it was a personal choice that wasn't really overpowering the track for me, at least at this stage.

"Underground BGM" finally kicked in at :42. A slow build was occurring with some escalation at 1:00, but the pace plodded pretty quickly. Always dislike the way thin, exposed claps like those from 1:28-1:44 don't do anything to really fill out the soundscape.

2:05-on basically rehashed the verse with a lot of overly busy original writing ideas on top. It was definitely a strange combination where the foreground writing was super-busy yet the pace and dynamics were otherwise static. You could stand to have some rhythmic variations, for sure; otherwise, this beat writing really does drag out.

Jeez, the original writing from 2:51-3:31 was over the top. I'm not inherently against the additions there, but the actual parts playing the source melody really got obscured as a result. The whole soundscape was very muddy as well for that final section. 2:05-2:24 was cluttered as well, but at least I could parse individual parts out, unlike 2:24-2:33 & 3:07-3:31 which was extremely cramped. Give the parts some more room to breath.

You'd got the interpretation factor there, that's good. But you need to fine tune the writing details like Vig said. Some rhythmic variations of that overly repetitive beat would help, and you need to clean up the soundscape a bit for the fullest sections. Some instrumental variations could really do wonders for this as well; again, another move to help this not be as plodding and repetitive over the long haul.

It can't just be stapling new writing on top of the verse reduxes when the tempo is so deliberate and the overall feel is too repetitive; that's actually not keeping things insteresting. That said, you may not be able to get this to a state where it could pass, but you show potential overall. Keep at it, Corey, and just stay hungry to learn.

NO

• 1 month later...