djpretzel

Good soloing - djp

sorry, incorrect link. here it is again:

On 1/24/06, Hansi Z. Jiang <mastconnoisseur@gmail.com> wrote:

Remixer name: MASTCONNOISSEUR

Remix name: Monkey Man Island

Name of game remixed: Donkey Kong Country

Individual song remixed: Jungle Hijinx

Comments: This is me and Jason Pai again with this chillin' laid-back version of this Donkey Kong Theme. Kudos to Jason for his penciled in piano solo.

Link:

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/dkc.rsn - "Jungle Groove" (dkc-05.spc)

Bassline reminded me of something that I can't put my finger on. Maniac Mansion or something; dunno off the top of my head.

Pretty basic opening with some (non-dNb) drum and bass along with a synth on arranged melody at :30. Not particularly interesting, but it would work well as long as it's building to something. Somewhat old-school OCR-ish in the approach. Organ also arranged the theme from 1:20-1:37 with some good ideas, but the texture was still lacking.

Picked up at 1:43 with a more ideas for the melody followed by some good keyboard soloing, but the drums were still boring. Fairly weak/boring first 2:26 considering what you COULD have done with it.

We hit some silence as a transition for another arrangement of "Jungle Groove" at 2:30 complete with drum intro. Bassline was pretty good, but the brass sample was poor and the piano sounded very mechanical during its solo at 3:23. Too bad though, when I was far away and heard the solo coming from my headphones, the writing was really energetic and creative. Too bad the execution with your sounds didn't do it justice.

If you can't do more with the first half to give it some substance, scrap the first half and focus on polishing up the second half.

NO

the arrangement is amatuerish, the keyboard soloing is professional. its kind of a strange juxtaposition.

here are a few problems:

* the song completely stops. then starts with a different groove. you can do better than this. write a transition

* the drum beats hang on autopilot, and the fills don't compliment the piece very well. they sound like they were preset drum fills on a drum machine or something.

* there's no attention paid to dynamics

keep these things in mind if you want to resubmit.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much in agreement with Jon and Larry. The arrangement is pretty boring especially in the first half; the only thing this piece really has going for it are the keyboard solos.

In the end though, the samples are weak and the texture is empty way too often. That full-stop in the middle there is pointless too; the two parts of the song are written in the same key at the same tempo with a similar groove; the best transition you could think of was silence? :(

Also, the reverb used here is odd; this piece would benefit from a more intimate, less "performance hall" approach.

The piece lacks dynamics, but the levels are bad. That piano solo at the end is too loud compared to the rest of the piece.

NO