*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Judgment Day'

djpretzel

Remix:

Game name: Final Fantasy 7

ReMixer name: Michikawa

Comments: Nobuo Uematsu's music has always had a strong influence on me, and as I finally managed to finish Final Fantasy 7 I couldn't get rid of the magnificent theme Judgement Day even after many days had passed. So I sat down and mixed this simple tribute, which brought peace to my astonished mind.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 413 "Judgment Day"

Half a decade ago, this would be godly compared to the old stuff on account of the sounds (compared to a lot of the electronic stuff sent in at the time), but the arrangement bar was also low. This certainly isn't bad, but at the same time isn't too much beyond an orchestral adaptation with marching drum beat. I don't mean to glibly downplay the effort or ideas here, and it's not a rip or pure cover, but the arrangement's really not interpretive enough to pass.

The sounds/samples are fairly good overall, but somewhat lack the richness that the writing seems to call for. Not a hit to me though as, personally, they're good enough for me, and I liked the melodic harmonization that was going on most of the way through. But while the texture was good and some of the new instrument parts written here were solid, the arrangement though is really too straightforward and doesn't distinguish itself enough from the overall feel of the original IMO. The ending at 3:12 was also too sudden and quite a cop-out.

If you're willing to go for something more interpretive and complex than this, Matti, it would have a better shot. Enjoyable stuff so far, but it can go a lot farther than this on the interpretation and creativity scale. Also, name your arrangement something other than the name of the original piece to give further personalization to your work.

NO

It really sounds a lot like BGM music you'd hear in a PS2 version of FFVII; that is to say, while it sounds good and is enjoyable to listen to, it lacks the sophistication a standalone orchestral piece needs.

The samples are nice, the balance is right, and the production is good. The arrangement, however, isn't really compelling. It's going through the motions. It doesn't rise, it doesn't fall. The dynamics for MOST of the song are pretty much the same thoughout.

It's a great start, but I want to see more development from you.

NO

This could be really good if more thought is put into it.

The same exact marching snare beat is in play 85% of the time. you can be more creative than that.

Plus, as DS pointed out, this arrangement doesn't have the dynamic contrast and sophistication one would expect from an orchestration.

Really solid on the production end, pretty uninspired on the arrangement end.

I'd like to hear a resubmit of this.

NO RESUBMIT