*NO* Castlevania 2 'Candlelit Corridors'

djpretzel

Gah..I know I just sent the thing..but I sent the one without the ID3v2 tags by accedent.

ShinnyMetal

Brian Crawford

ShinnyMetal@yahoo.com

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest

Bloody Tears

After hears all of the remix current for this song, they were all up beat, techno/rock remixes and I was astounded there wasn't a single orchestrated version of this song anywhere...which realy surprised me...so I set out to accomplish my first Orchestrated...anything...kudos to Zircon for his advice on the forums when it comes to music like this. I used Fruity Loops 5 pro. on this particualar song, since at the time it was all I had availible.

the song can be found here:

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/castle~1.zip - Track 2 ("Bloody Tears")

Decent organ intro, but sounds a bit too muddy when the strings were underneath it. Decent strings coming in at :45 for the source melody. I actually liked the tone on them a lot. Organ coming in again from 1:09-1:18 didn't really sound right to me, but it was brief, and I wouldn't know how realisitically that was handled.

Brief piano/string combo of another verse from 1:35-2:11. Piano sounded a bit thin, and slightly too synthetic, but not bad.

2:11 rehashed the organ playing the source intro again, and things were staring to feel like a retread. Luckily 2:46 at least presented some new writing, even if the organ didn't sound very strong and the writing was very plain/uninteresting.

Bringing back the source intro on top of that from 3:28-3:46 only sounded messy, before going back to the string/piano/organ combo at 3:50 seemingly cut/pasted right from 1:53, which was a weak idea heading toward the finish.

Interesting instrumentation ideas, but the arrangement definitely lost steam before it was halfway over. Would have liked to have heard more intepretation of the melody as well, since that was rather minimal. Nonetheless, you show some legitimate skill bro, so keep at it.

NO

I agree that the organ is far too muddy at the beginning. You should work on reducing the texture there, especially when the strings come in, as right now it's too dense and dark (in a non-musical way). I can't tell exactly what reverb you're using (kinda sounds like GlaceVerb) but regardless it is a little too resonant and spacious, further adding to the mud you have going on. I would cut back on it a bit. Basically the lows and low-mids are just completely swamped all the way up until 1:36.

Speaking of 1:36 the piano sample here is really not very good.. I would pick up NSPiano or perhaps the Clavinova Piano and use either of those instead. Don't forget to boost the high frequencies as the current piano is a bit dull.

The mixing could use some work. While I didn't hear any clipping I think the whole thing was compressed and limited too much, especially in the sections with swells and crashes. Reduce the volume of everything first and try not to squash things so much.

Overall I'm not really feeling the arrangement either, unfortunately. There are some very basic interpretive ideas but definitely not enough for this to pass our bar. Basically what you have here is more of a re-instrumentation than anything else. You need to expand more on the ideas presented in the original theme or add your own. In addition, you should try to give your song structure some kind of direction. Because the texture and dynamics are the same throughout, you can skip to any part of the song and it pretty much sounds the same. That's something you want to avoid. Either through changes in your instruments, rhythm, tempo, key, or whatever, you want things to be moving over the course of the song. It's a hard concept to explain but I suggest you simply keep practicing and listening to good music and you'll hear what I mean.

Keep at it and don't forget to make use of the ReMixing forum for any technical questions you may have.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

larry and zirc have covered the problems i have with this mix.

dynamically it just hovers at metzo-forte.

put some more thought into the dynamic shape of the entire song, get a better piano soundfont, and try to do a little more interpretation of the source material, not just a reinstrumentation.

i'd like to hear a resubmit.

NO