[WIP] Gerudo Valley Remix ~ Feedback Appreciated

Your drums are great. Your lead strings are horrible. The rest is in between.

It's nice that it's not a latino guitar mix like most remixes of it.

Thanks for replying. What do you think could be done to improve the strings from horrible to great?

You're basically using long stroke samples when you should have short strokes. This makes it feel really soft compared to everything else. It sounds very out of place to have such a soft sound too, as the drums are far more aggressive, so an overall stronger sound is needed. Whether the strings you're using have good high-velocity staccato samples I don't know.

I'd say that most cheap sample libraries don't come with decent solo strings, so you'll need a fair amount of fiddling (pun intended) with the notes and sampler to make it sound good. Right now, it sounds like someone is playing it on a keyboard, not someone playing the actual instrument. Think of how it should sound if actually performed. How long and how strong each stroke would be. If you're using Kontakt, you can screw a lot with the sound, while other samplers might not offer the same opportunity. In any case, first see what you can do with just the midi and the most obvious buttons in the sampler.

Then there's the standard mixing things you can do to mix it in better - the right type and amount of reverb, the right eq, any modifications to the dynamics via compression - which all depends on how you want to solve whatever problem remains. The idea is to make all the instruments fit well together, but you have to start with using sounds that sound good together.

Just signing in to say that this is reeeeeaaaaally nice, and I can't wait to hear how it turns out because there's some dope potential here. Rozovian got it perfectly when describing how you c/should improve the strings tremendously, but I love the percussion very much, especially around 0:34-0:56, so please bring that rhythmic pattern back some time again later in the song because it gives a certain feeling/vibe that is just a lot more better than the basic contemporary drum groove you have around 1:09. (can't think of a descriptive word better than 'better,' but what I'm getting at is that beat at 0:34 just has this certain ardent stomping feeling to it that is much more interesting than the other drum beat patterns you have later on, in my opinion at least).

Yeah, the percussion really makes this arrangement, so it'll be awesome when you make those strings and brass parts stand out much more with more variation and adjustments.

You're basically using long stroke samples when you should have short strokes. This makes it feel really soft compared to everything else. It sounds very out of place to have such a soft sound too, as the drums are far more aggressive, so an overall stronger sound is needed. Whether the strings you're using have good high-velocity staccato samples I don't know.

I'd say that most cheap sample libraries don't come with decent solo strings, so you'll need a fair amount of fiddling (pun intended) with the notes and sampler to make it sound good. Right now, it sounds like someone is playing it on a keyboard, not someone playing the actual instrument. Think of how it should sound if actually performed. How long and how strong each stroke would be. If you're using Kontakt, you can screw a lot with the sound, while other samplers might not offer the same opportunity. In any case, first see what you can do with just the midi and the most obvious buttons in the sampler.

Then there's the standard mixing things you can do to mix it in better - the right type and amount of reverb, the right eq, any modifications to the dynamics via compression - which all depends on how you want to solve whatever problem remains. The idea is to make all the instruments fit well together, but you have to start with using sounds that sound good together.

I'm working on it as we speak, and I do agree that with staccato turns out better. Yes I do use Kontakt btw.

Just signing in to say that this is reeeeeaaaaally nice, and I can't wait to hear how it turns out because there's some dope potential here. Rozovian got it perfectly when describing how you c/should improve the strings tremendously, but I love the percussion very much, especially around 0:34-0:56, so please bring that rhythmic pattern back some time again later in the song because it gives a certain feeling/vibe that is just a lot more better than the basic contemporary drum groove you have around 1:09. (can't think of a descriptive word better than 'better,' but what I'm getting at is that beat at 0:34 just has this certain ardent stomping feeling to it that is much more interesting than the other drum beat patterns you have later on, in my opinion at least).

Yeah, the percussion really makes this arrangement, so it'll be awesome when you make those strings and brass parts stand out much more with more variation and adjustments.

Thanks alot! Glad to hear that you like the percussion and I will definitly sew the mentioned rhythm back into the song later on.

What cinematic percussion samples are those? I think if I could get those, I could start putting them into my cinematic songs after some proper processing, instead of trying to repitch djembes. :D

For cinematic percussion I mostly use Damage or Evolve, both found at Native Instruments. ;-)