*NO* Donkey Kong Land 'Boss Land Beatdown'

Liontamer

Your ReMixer name: Argle

Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong Land

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Bad Boss Boogie -

Name of arrangement: Boss Land Beatdown

I remember Donkey Kong Land being really HARD, mainly due to the graphics which made the enemies blend in with the background. At least that was my impression of it. Not sure the rendered graphics that looked so sweet on the SNES worked out quite as well on the Game Boy. Anyway, it had some great tunes as well. This is one of my favorites. I always thought it was pretty badass fight theme, so an industrial techno mix seemed the natural thing to do.

------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Some of the synth design was a little plain, and the core snare beat pattern, while decent, definitely dragged over time. The mixing during the choruses felt pretty cluttered as well, but it wasn't a huge deal. 2:49 was definitely the moment where something new and interesting should have happened with the verse instrumentation, and it didn't happen, which was boring and disappointing, just being frank. That said, the variation of the chorus from 3:04-3:19 was sweet due to the effects & new beat sounds used there and made for a good finish.

Honestly, a bit disappointing for me. Until the drop at 2:34, it felt like this piece was just stuck in one gear with a relatively flat dynamic curve. Adam's a pretty solid artist, but there was too much repetition and too little development compared to some of his other work. Things started off interesting, but 1:06-1:50 went for a wholesale copy-pasta of :14-:58. 1:58 had just a measly key change until finally something else happened at 2:05-2:34 to provide some added melodic variation followed by dynamic contrast.

Perhaps I'm being too tough, because this does have some solid interpretation ideas. It just comes across like a bit too much coasting/repetition for such a brief track. Consider seeing what you can do to make 1:06-1:50 & 2:49-3:04 stand apart from :14-:58, and consider varying the sound and/or timing of the core beat pattern. I could just be an outlier, but the lack of dynamics really stood out to me. It's a very good start, and very far along, but it does need some additional polish for a strong finish, IMO.

NO(resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Beats started feeling repetative a about a minute in. Except for the occasional fill and a couple parts in the last third of the track, they basically stay the same for the balance of the song. Sometimes that's not a big deal, but I feel like in this style you should have a lot of room an options to change things up and keep it interesting.

It felt like there should be a little more contrast in the bigger sections like :44 beyond the rhythm guitar part playing underneath everything. This sorta ties into the crits above about the beat because altering the pattern can make a big difference in raising or lowering the energy level. I could totally hear going to a half-time pattern (kicks on beat 1 & 2.5, snare on 3) or at least altering the kick timing at points.

Honestly didn't read Larry's crits until after I wrote the above, but it looks like we're tracking pretty similarly on this one. I've heard some of your other stuff, Argle, so I know you've got it in you! This is a very cool arrangement and solid in many ways. It just needs some of the late-in-the-game polish and it'll shine :).

NO resubmit, please

I did read the crits of the gentlemen above as I was listening, and I have to agree with both of them. There's definitely some interesting personalization you have in terms of how you approached the instrumentation, but right now it's just very repetitive. More variations, more dynamics, more change-ups, definitely.

NO (resubmit)