Thomas Was Alone Orchestral Remix - Escape 'Thomas's Escape'

Pl511

Update 3!

Just put this up for mod review. Thanks in advance! :D

Update 2!

stats.png

Got a finished product! Still a lot to polish and fix, but this looks like it's going to be the finished structure. I redid mastering and mixing from scratch so it probably sounds a bit rough, but hopefully not too loud or overcompressed. Headphones are almost necessary to hear most of the more detailed string parts in this. Feedback would be awesome! Hoping to finish up everything over the next two days and constructive advice would be really useful. :D

OLD:

stats.png

Yet another WIP! This is definitely one I'll finish completely by the looks of it. This track is incredible to work with, and some of the parts I've done already were really fun to do. After about a year working with this kind of software, this is definitely the track where I'm noticing the huge amount of progress I've made over the period. Panning is a little basic for now, but I'll be patching everything up for the next update.

Edited by Pl511

stats.png

Got a finished product! Still a lot to polish and fix, but this looks like it's going to be the finished structure. I redid mastering and mixing from scratch so it probably sounds a bit rough, but hopefully not too loud or overcompressed. Headphones are almost necessary to hear most of the more detailed string parts in this. Feedback would be awesome! Hoping to finish up everything over the next two days and constructive advice would be really useful. :D

Hi!

This was nice, but way too conservative. Personalizing it some more would be great, and may flesh out the arrangement a little more. It felt very subdued, possibly in part due to the lack of orchestral percussion, which may help accentuate your movements. EWQL SO has good orchestral percussion if you happen to have that library. Song is just a hair quiet, but you don't really want to use compression for volume on an orchestration where dynamics are key. Keep it light, if possible. I think the biggest issue is the mechanical pizzicato strings, and things being very dry. The violins were very dry, and the strange slow attack and sudden release on them was very noticeable. Keep up the good work and keep refining! Good so far!

• 4 weeks later...

I unfortunately don't have time to learn the source and properly analyze how this deviates from it. I can tell the source is there, and if BS says it's conservative, it's probably BS... I mean, conservative. :P

I found myself drifting off, doing other stuff while this was playing. Nothing really stood out and yelled at me that it needed to be fixed. It's successful as background music to a nitpicking listener, good job. :D

Listening closer, the slow attacks and fast release of the strings bothers me as well. It works great for the piano where it's obvious it's a reverse effect, but not quite as well with the strings.

Not much else to say. Really beautiful. Fiddle with the strings some more to get their dynamics a little less reverse-y, and barring any source usage issues, you should have a track suited for ocr. Beautiful stuff.