*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Out of Time'

DragonAvenger

Out of Time.mp3

Contact Information

ReMixer name: ladyWildfire

email address:

userid: 11659

Submission Information

Name of games arranged: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda

Name of arrangement: Out of Time

Name of individual songs arranged: Temple of Time, Main Theme

Comments: Here's a trance remix of the Temple of Time theme from Ocarina of Time, created for of the FL Studio Remix Gauntlet. As such, it was created using only FL Studio presets. I figured I made it suck as little as possible given that restriction, so I figured I'll use it as my first solo submission. I know it can get a tiny bit repetitive but that's mostly due to the genre, I think. I'm definitely willing to make whatever edits you guys feel would improve the track.

-------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

You've got some good arrangement ideas here, but there's a lot of repetition going on, which is pretty much the first thing that I noticed. Overall, more change-ups will really help you; drums, bass patterns, chord progressions, parts. I'd also add a little more humanization into your parts; some of it comes across a little too stiffly. Nice transition into the main Zelda theme, though, I thought that was pretty solid, and I liked what you had going on there.

Production has some issues as well. Watch out for a little clipping/static around 0:55ish and a couple of the louder parts. The bass feels a little weak overall, and could maybe be doubled or expanded with some pads. I wasn't a total fan of the lead synth at 1:14, thought I might put that down to personal choice or towards the abrupt cutoffs of the notes.

I think you've really got a solid start here, but I'd like to hear you work more on adding variation first, then cleaning up some of the production. Hopefully the other judges will be able to add more advice on the latter half of that. Hit up the WIP forums to get some more feedback then throw this at us again, Beth!

NO (resubmit)

I thought the sound quality of the piano was solid enough, but putting that out there. The beat opened up with a static/plain feel, but I was interested in seeing where the gradual escalation would go. By :28, the texture was meant to sound a bit fuller, but the rhythms were fairly plain and there seemed to be too much empty space.

Something introduced around :28 was causing soft but audible & pervasive clicks/pops (e.g. :29, :34, :36, :40-:44, :48-:54, 1:07, 1:45-2:27: etc.). Even if the arrangement and production were otherwise on point, this much distortion would be a deal-breaker.

The change in leads at 1:13 was welcome, though some further variations in the core groove writing would have been good. Decent dropoff at 1:43, with the rebuild leading back up into 2:27. The soundscape was noticeably muddier at 2:27, and I felt like the energy in this composition ultimately never got beyond second gear at 2:27, which doesn't sound intentional.

Despite the obvious buildups and dropoffs, and some lead changes, it doesn't feel like any fully successful dynamic shifts were taking place. The groove felt too repetitive, the textures sounded too sparsely-written despite the volume & amount of things going on, and this was basically in a low gear and never truly turned the corner on.

Even if you kept this groove intact, the textures need to be less vacant, and the dynamic contrast has to be more pronounced. Pick the brain of people like Flexstyle, bLiNd, zircon and others, let them know we said it has potential and that you need some opinions on how else to spruce up something like this.

It's a solid effort so far, Beth, and I really like the rhythmic changes applied to the Zelda songs. But the composition itself just lacks the detail work to make it sound more cohesive and more varied.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah I'm definitely hearing those clicks and pops. Gotta get that fixed.

Agree with Larry and Deia. I feel like this is just coasting for most of the arrangement. Gotta kick up the energy a bit half-way through. I don't feel like the intensity is evolving enough.

Arrangement ideas are great, but you need to take a look at the structure of the piece and make the highs higher and the lows lower.

NO, resub