ReMixer Name: AlanGee15

Name: Alan Garcia

UserID: 49349

Game: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Arrangement name: Sheik's Groove

Song name: Sheik's Theme

Composer(s): Koji Kondo

Comments:

Back in Winter of '98, my mom took me to Target to go "shopping". Little did I know she was actually taking me to snag my first Zelda experience on the Nintendo 64 (along with a really shiny strategy guide!). Every minute of music in this game is truly remarkable and I loved singing to every tune. I recently went through some of my favorite tracks with my little sister and noticed a short track titled "Sheik's Theme". I couldn't recall ever paying any mind to the 36 second piece when I played the game.

The original piece consists of a very simple yet beautiful melody all played on harp. What truly makes this piece stand out is the dense, chromatic, walking harmonies going on right in the middle of the root and melody. I knew immediately that I would be using the electric piano (a.k.a. Rhodes) for this remix to keep the fatness of the chords. Alongside the rhodes would be the traditional harp that Sheik plays along with a flute that takes the melody at the end of the piece. The original piece doesn't necessarily have a solid time signature so I felt a hip-hop groove would help solidify and give structure to the chords. There also a couple of extra bits of Kondo's goodness in the piece that I hope you all will enjoy :)

Thank you so much for your time and consideration! I hope you enjoy this remix as much as I enjoyed making it.

------------------------

Edited by djpretzel

• 3 weeks later...

The rhodes and drum sounds are great, but that beat sounds super stilted and not grooving at all. I think it just needs some accents and a little bit more solid subdivision. The triplet hihat and the upbeat are not clicking, and a lot of the rhythms feel loose, like the occasional snaps that feel behind the beat.

I really enjoy the arrangement, and the little jingle cameos are great, but the beat needs to be a lot tighter. I'd love to hear a resubmission of this.

No, please resubmit

The stilted sound was entirely on purpose, but I've gotta agree with OA that something sounded off on the first listen when the piece picked up at :20.

That said, I listened several more times, and I think that "issue" was more stylistic taste than anything wrong with the piece. Subjectively, I would have preferred a smoother flow, and the crits about things not fully locking together at times aren't wrong, but you get more used to this as you listen to it more, and the overall construction, arrangement and performance was above the bar for me.

The ending jingle at 2:26 didn't have to be as forcefully performed as in the original, but it was just WAY too flat of a finish after that lengthy build at 2:18. That gimpy synth line didn't have the power implied in the buildup. :-)

So, a weak finish, but otherwise it's a good, short and sweet extension of the :24-second long source and personalized it well. Being put off by the rhythms is definitely understandable, but felt like a more subjective crit on loosening it up rather than anything harming the piece enough to pull it below the bar. A little quirkiness never bothered me. Don't let it bother you. Let's go.

YES

Edited by Liontamer

LOVE how you approached this! The original always came off as a really stiff and blocky piece, but you really added a ton of style to it. Kudos on an amazing approach here.

I had to listen to this one a few times myself and decide how I felt about the rhythms. I do agree that I don't think it's the best choice out there but I also agree with Larry that it's more of a personal taste thing over it' being a major issue in the track.

The ending leaves things a bit flat, and Larry's right on the money for that one. The synth just isn't doing it, and I think the transition into the open chest theme is a bit non-sequiter as-is. I don't think it draws this below the bar considering how creative and catchy the rest of the track is, but it's definitely a chip in the block.

Nice work overall!

YES