Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Title Theme

Hey there! Below you will find an orchestral arrangement of the title theme from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. The final version of this arrangement will be posted on the Metroid Reorchestrated website.

I'm mainly looking for feedback concerning mixing, EQ, etc., but feedback regarding arrangement is welcome, too. Thank you!

Source:

Final Arrangement: https://soundcloud.com/willpisani/metroid-prime-3-corruption-1

Edited by Light_of_Aether
Update

Well, the sounds in general are high quality, but the articulations used haven't yet gotten the attention to detail they need to sound realistic.

The choir sounds pretty fake in the attack envelope and note connections until 0:30 where it's less exposed, though even after 0:30 I can still hear those attack and note connection issues. The strings as well, as they definitely need the keyswitching and MIDI CC you have available (I assume you're familiar with those?).

The mastering is OK, though it could be tighter in the low end by tightening up the sequencing on the double bass.

Edited by timaeus222

Well, the sounds in general are high quality, but the articulations used haven't yet gotten the attention to detail they need to sound realistic.

The choir sounds pretty fake in the attack envelope and note connections until 0:30 where it's less exposed, though even after 0:30 I can still hear those attack and note connection issues. The strings as well, as they definitely need the keyswitching and MIDI CC you have available (I assume you're familiar with those?).

The mastering is OK, though it could be tighter in the low end by tightening up the sequencing on the double bass.

Thanks for the feedback, timaeus222! I smoothed out the male choir. It sounds much better, but now there's a clipping noise when the male choir changes notes at 0:23-0:25. Any idea how I get rid of that?

I've made some adjustments to the double bass and changed out the alto flute in favor of orchestral chimes.

Updated Arrangement: https://soundcloud.com/willpisani/title-theme-metroid-prime-3-1

That clicking sounds to me like what happens when you have two or more cut samples that play one after another without first returning to the zero point.

But it sounds to me like you used a decent sample library/VST plugin and I don't hear it in other parts of the track...

"Comping" I think it's called. Look, I'm not an audio guy.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

Awesome source, I have every intention of doing this one myself. Maybe when I get caught up on tracks in another 2 years. :lol:

I would put some more reverb on the choir to make it blend better. The exposed line in the beginning sounds mushy. Maybe you can adjust something to make the attack a little quicker. I hear the little distortion noise you're talking about. Very faint but there. Sometimes I find I have to render at 1x or online in Reaper rather than full-speed offline, or I get random artefacts. Usually not in most projects, but once in awhile. There may be a setting to avoid this, if there is I'm not aware of it.

Edited by Argle

Just gonna add that working on your volume levels will make a huge difference. The balance and depth of the mix just feels off. It's rare that this happens, but everything is so quiet it takes away from the dynamics.

Also from an arrangement aspect, this feels waaay too close to the original. Try adding some unique ambient noises and/or pads to enhance the emotional tone of your mix.

• 3 weeks later...
Just gonna add that working on your volume levels will make a huge difference. The balance and depth of the mix just feels off. It's rare that this happens, but everything is so quiet it takes away from the dynamics.

I've done what I can with the volume levels. I added more reverb to the choir and the weird distortion noise is gone. If there aren't any glaring problems, I'm going to release this version tonight on the MREO website.

Final Version: https://soundcloud.com/willpisani/metroid-prime-3-corruption

String stabs in the beginning could use a little boost.

:30 in the original here there is more apparent chanting.

Taking 2000Hz down a couple db's on the metallic percussion should help balance this out a bit.

It's much better.

Thanks for the suggestions, avaris! I've made the changes and here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/willpisani/metroid-prime-3-corruption-1