Your ReMixer name: Cxnma

Your real name: Kirby Walls

Your email address:

Your website: http://www.soundcloud.com/cxnma

Your userid: 51288

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Metroid

Name of arrangement: You Are (Not) Alone

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Opening (Destroyed Science Academy Research Station)

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix: A modern version of that haunting, six-note theme from the Super Metroid title screen. I feel like people miss the soul of this song a lot when they re-do it - so I tried to keep the eery shiver of the original and give it a sense of epic, almost cinematic chill-factor. The second drop kind of embodies that. Not too fancy, no new melodies - but I tried to get at the essence, and amplify it. Those bodies on the floor, and the Metroid floating in the center...

---------------

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9hq4_d0t9M

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Pretty wicked soundscape, and the synths and percussion used would be amazing for a backing track. It's intense and bombastic, and everything used really captures the soul of Metroid for me.

The issue is that the arrangement tops out early, and stalls; i think a section where things are brought way down to contrast the expansiveness would be really effective, to give it a bit of claustrophobic feel of the corridors and crevices of the game. Another idea would be to bring in the B section of the version of the song from the original NES, though tonally that may be a bit too bright and hopeful compared to the powerful and oppressive mood this has.

Overall the sounds used and the production is literally perfect, but the arrangement needs more variety. There are a lot of microvariations, but it seems really samey at first glance. Doesn't prevent this from being a killer track on it's own, but makes it harder to fit OCR guidelines. I'd love to hear a resubmission.

No, please resubmit

Andrew's got some great suggestions here. I agree with him that once this gets going it plateaus for the rest of the mix. I'd love to see you do something a bit more drastic for the second half so that there is a real change-up. Your sounds are great though, and the mood you set is very good. Definitely a super fun listen, but it's just shy of fitting the OCR standards.

NO (resubmit, please)

Opens up pretty cool. The drone line from the original sounded cool along with the main melody theme playing lightly. The percussion & claps first used at :26 sounded kind of cheap (though the layered claps sounded better).

More interesting minimalist build, followed by the kicks added at :47. Seemed pretty beefy and cool headed into 1:30. The melodic arrangement was a bit straightforward, so I was waiting for some evolution in the song, but the theme went more minimal 1:42 to at least change that up.

I was just about to comment on how this was dynamically flat for most of the mix, then I read the other votes...

Pretty wicked soundscape, and the synths and percussion used would be amazing for a backing track. It's intense and bombastic, and everything used really captures the soul of Metroid for me.

The issue is that the arrangement tops out early, and stalls...

Overall the sounds used and the production is literally perfect, but the arrangement needs more variety. There are a lot of microvariations, but it seems really samey at first glance. Doesn't prevent this from being a killer track on it's own, but makes it harder to fit OCR guidelines. I'd love to hear a resubmission.

Andrew's got some great suggestions here. I agree with him that once this gets going it plateaus for the rest of the mix. I'd love to see you do something a bit more drastic for the second half so that there is a real change-up. Your sounds are great though, and the mood you set is very good. Definitely a super fun listen, but it's just shy of fitting the OCR standards.

These were perfect calls. OA was dead on. I loved this too, but once you get to 1:15 (or even arguably 1:01), the energy level essentially topped out and just hovered at the same intensity with basically the same repeating motif for nearly 2 1/2 minutes (about 2/3rds of the mix) for almost the entire rest of the piece until the wind-down at 3:33.

It's definitely a cool piece in a vacuum, and you DO have those minor variations in place as OA mentioned, but the dynamic curve was WAY too flat after the initial build-up, which made the song sound extremely, extremely repetitive in the long run.

If you can successfully address the lack of dynamics, you'll have a winner. Definitely give this another go, Kirby!

NO (resubmit)