Went for Demetori-style progressive metal, though, I'm sorry, I'm not

a godly guitarist like Teramae Masaru, so bare with me. Overall it was

a fun work, took a lot of tweaking, but I'm quite satisfied with the

result.

--------------

Edited by Palpable
closed

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty intense. I like the energy you added to an (already) energetic source. Your playing is crisp, and the drums do a lot to add to the structure. I am not entirely feeling the bell sample you use for the melody at times, but I do think it provides a good contrast to the guitar, so I'll chalk it up to personal taste.

I do think there are some times when the low end seems to drop off a bit, and I think you could have done more there, but I don't think it's to the point that it's a dealbreaker. Definitely interested to hear what others think on this one.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lot to like about this track, but the production job isn't getting it done, IMO.

Some of the cymbal work (e.g. 1:04-1:08, 1:13, 2:19-2:21) sounded very fake when exposed, and the machine gun drumming starting at 1:20 was too loud. The vox added in at 1:07 ended up sounding like indistinct mud for the most part, and didn't contribute much during the verses at 1:28.

Really not feeling the glassy lead combined with the guitar 1:15. The glassy lead and electric guitar combination at 1:38 didn't click for me, and just seemed to make the glassy lead sound goofy and out of context, unlike when it was used in the relaxed intro. Same issue with the organ-type lead cameo at 3:02, it just sounded too high-pitched to fit well in this kind of rock piece, at least for me. Also, once the lead guitar arrived for the lead doubling at 1:38, the rhythm guitar basically melted into the vox and both were indistinct.

The piano sequencing at 4:09 also sounded robotic, though serviceable; if the articulations could be humanized, that would be helpful, though not a huge deal if it was left alone.

The mixing from 2:57-3:34 was too cluttered with the vox, synths, drums and guitar just muddying together; that could be said for basically most of the verses and every chorus here, and that's what's ultimately pulled this below the bar for me. There's just too much clarity missing for me to get behind this, even though the arrangement is so promising.

NO (resubmit)

That kick is way too compressed and boxy, it sounds weak, and the snare isn't a ton better. The arrangement overall is pretty solid and the guitar playing is loose but generally on point, but the production of the drums is pushed so far that it is crushing everything else.

I think adjusting the drum sound a lot, cleaning up a little the guitar tone to be a bit more audible and less smeary, and see how the headroom is sounding when the drums are backed up a bit. I'd love to hear a resub overall.

No, please resubmit

Soft lovely intro, then whammo... metal... with no real transition, I feel like that is a little jarring. To signal this a bit better, how about a rising snare pattern, or a couple of low guitar chugs, or even a white noise sweep to glue the sections together?

Once the track gets going, the soundscape sounds very full, and the instruments are really competing for frequency space. I agree with Larry about the choir only serving to add unnecessary mud. For a soundscape this busy, the sounds need to be mixed (really, separated) very well, to ensure that each element is as clear as possible. I actually like the glass lead, but it does end up sounding a bit thin on top of the wall of guitars.

The kick does sound boxy, could use a little more low-end punch, but it does cut through. Snare is a little weak and muted, needs more smack. The hats are too loud by comparison to kick and snare.

The breakdown section from 2:21 to 2:52 is... a bit odd, maybe I'm not quite getting what you are going for there... and it feels sort of washed out and muddy.

The piano at 4:09 sounds quite mechanically sequenced and could use some humanization, but it is a very short section so not a dealbreaker, but it would be nice.

Source usage is fine and the energy is certainly there. This is a fun arrangement! Just gotta clean up the production and mixing a bit and it's good to go I think.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

This is pretty messy. I can dig the arrangement ideas but the production and sequencing just isn't doing the job. The drums sound way too uniformly sequenced and the lows and mids are cluttered. The kick seems to be taking up a lot more room in the mix than I would have it take, but I would defer to OA's comments here since he's had experience with metal production. The glassy lead was also weak as a lead, and made those sections sound kind of tacky. It's a strong arrangement in general, and only these production and sound choice issues are really holding it back for me.

NO (resubmit)