OCR01475 - *YES* Zelda 2 'Mirror and Transparent'

djpretzel

Hey djp and panel,

I tried submitting this once but 3 days have gone by with no confirmation e-mail, so I'm resubmitting!

Rellik here with my first OCR submission in a long time.

All my personal info is the same as previously recorded - except for the fact that I no longer have a website and my e-mail address is now Rellyk@gmail.com (I hope I'm not overstepping the scope of this submission e-mail by asking that these elements of my profile be changed).

Mix: Mirror and Transparent

Game: Zelda 2

Source: The overworld theme

Composer: tagged it with Akito Nakatsuka (getting this from OCR)

This mix was actually created under the parameters of the Fruity Loops Music Contest (FLMC) run by chthonic. This means that NOTHING that does not come with FL was used in the production of this mix (aside from computer hardware, MIDI input [which I didn't actually have a use for in this mix], and audio output). I don't think the FLMC is even over yet, but production went VERY smoothly, so I'm submitting this now!

Elements of the mix were inspired by Mazedude and Earthbound. Anyway, I think it turned out very well! I don't know if it will get as much of a cult following as my previous submission did (if it gets on the site), but I personally like this one alot. Looking forward to the decision and the comments!

-Rellik

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zelda2.zip - Track 2 ("Overworld")

I voted in FLMC1 and this was easily my favorite entry of the bunch. Nothing against Prophecy, who won the contest, but I felt this was a clear winner at both rearranging the material and showing what could be achieved under the contest's limitations. I think DarkeSword would agree that this track is a nice testament to what default Fruity is capable of in skillful hands.

Played this back on VGF82 and also featured it on my finale show VGF84.99 as a personal favorite, so I'm already really familiar with the track. Adam let me know that he just had to tone down some piercing frequencies in the FLMC version before he submitted it here, and it looks like everything's in order now.

Simply put, I'm a big fan of the arrangement, which was very creative, and loved the sounds and processing involved. Very well put together. With the writing, crazy beatwork, and tempo, I felt like I heard more of Shnabubula's influence in the piece than Mazedude's just from my own familiarity with their material. Infectiously energetic. Great stuff, Adam.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful. A perfect example of how a skilled musician and sound designer can take the same "cruddy" synths/samples that we normally rail on people for, and turn them into something awesome. Arrangement is of course hot as well. Lots of changeups all around, variation, texture is never too dense or too minimal... easy

YES

I think DarkeSword would agree that this track is a nice testament to what default Fruity is capable of in skillful hands.

Yeah, definitely. The sounds remind me of Sega Genesis music, except a whole lot cleaner. Without a doubt, this is "video game music," but at the same time, it shows a lot of depth and exhibits a meticulous focus on detail that you'll never find in old VG tunes.

Lots of craziness around 2:10, yet it manages to maintain its coherence. Nice.

This is a perfect example of what you can accomplish by simply learning about what your software is capable of and taking it to that level. Rellik, you do us FL users proud.

YES