*NO* Final Fantasy 12 'Progus Bunansa'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Names - Tuberz McGee and therex

Your Real Names - Callum Kennedy and Ethan Rex

Your Email Address -

User ID - Tuberz: 44165 therex: 45328

Game Arranged - Final Fantasy 12

Name of Arrangement - Progus Bunansa (OCR Edit) ()

Name of Individual Song Arranged - Desperate Fight (

)

Hey guys, therex here. Tuberz and I were already a part of Mirby's Cid Tribute Project when the FF12 Cid track got dropped. Tuberz stepped up to fill the gap and I chimed in about a collab. Fast forward a few months and here we are.The only difference between this version and the album version is that this one is mastered by myself as opposed to Flexstyle. Tuberz did the bulk of the arrangement and the RAWKIN guitars; I did production, drum track arrangement, and an egregious synth solo. The track has been great for my production chops, and people like ectogemia and Phonetic Hero were great for advice and an extra set of ears when I needed it.

tl;dr Tuberz is a god, everyone worship him, 10/10 would collab again

Tuberz - I would love to thank my cat for keeping me up late at night with its irritable noise to work on this track.

P.S. This is for Mirby's Cid Tribute Project, so if by some act of the gods this gets to/passes the panel before it releases please hold it.

Thanks

Ethan "therex" Rex and Callum "Tuberz McGee" Kennedy

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Nice source, and it starts out pretty good with some pretty tight guitar playing, and when I expected the 'pretend' drumkit to give way to a real powerful one, it never happened. D:

Mixing is off; the drums are super super quiet throughout and lack much punch at all, and the synth is overpowering everything. It's like you guys are performing the song along with a little ipod speaker that is providing drums.

The arrangement seems pretty good, minus the abrupt ending, and overall the parts are fine, though the crazy harpsichord runs as super mechanical and need a lot of humanization to fit with the other elements. I also can't hear any bass response at all. You need a low end.

Add a bass, get the drum volume in line where it needs to be, and then we can evaluate this one again. There is promise, but it has a lot of work to go through first.

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...
Nice source, and it starts out pretty good with some pretty tight guitar playing, and when I expected the 'pretend' drumkit to give way to a real powerful one, it never happened. D:

Mixing is off; the drums are super super quiet throughout and lack much punch at all, and the synth is overpowering everything. It's like you guys are performing the song along with a little ipod speaker that is providing drums.

The arrangement seems pretty good, minus the abrupt ending, and overall the parts are fine, though the crazy harpsichord runs as super mechanical and need a lot of humanization to fit with the other elements. I also can't hear any bass response at all. You need a low end.

Add a bass, get the drum volume in line where it needs to be, and then we can evaluate this one again. There is promise, but it has a lot of work to go through first.

All that, plus the synth timing is too rigid. Can't really break it down much more than OA already did. I'll admit, I smiled when I read "pretend" drumkit, because I thought the exact same thing was going to happen, i.e. that weak stuff would get replaced by a beefy kit when the track ratcheted up. :lol:

Texturally, this has more holes than cheese of the Swiss variety due the background not being filled in, the rhythm guitars had 0 punch (good example: :59-1:19), the drumkit was flimsy/bland/fake-sounding. It's too bad, because the arrangement concept and some of the writing ideas were pretty sweet, but there's nowhere near enough musical glue to make things sound cohesive.

Y'all have potential, so I don't want to make this feel like my opinion's nothing but "[WHAP!] This is weak!", but it's unfortunately a ways off the mark, and it can't make it without a pretty extensive overhaul. That said, if I were you, I'd legitimately explore just how much you could improve this and see what you learn.

NO (resubmit)

Andrew and Larry have covered the issues here perfectly. Very nice arrangement, some interesting ideas and writing. Ending is quite abrupt. But yeah, the mixing and balance is seriously off here! I actually had to turn my speakers down when that synth came in at 0:33, wow.

While I always think it is fun to combine sound choices, in this case a lot of it doesn't fit together, mainly due to the mixing, but I also think some of the choices just aren't working. For example the synth solo at 1:54, I wonder how that would sound with a synth that compliments the guitar tone just a touch better than this sine lead does. But again, mixed properly, these sound choices may all sound more cohesive.

Ethan, if you did the mixing here, I recommend taking the individual stems and starting a re-balance from scratch, one item at a time. I hope you have individual stems for each element, including each drum element separately. Loop the sections of the song one at a time, bring up the kick first, get it nice and beefy, and then bring each element up slowly until it fits into the soundscape nicely without being overpowering. Take your time, get feedback from others on this, and this can sound a whole lot better.

NO (resubmit)