*NO* Street Fighter 2 'Blanka Courielle'

DragonAvenger

The bassline providing the source connection was a bit buried under the other instrumentation, but the overall sound was pretty sweet. Definitely some imbalance among the parts there, not that it was a huge deal. The faux geetar at :52 definitely wasn't getting the job done with the super fakey exposed sound.

Well, this is my interpretation of the standards, but the arrangement criteria says "The source material must be identifiable and dominant." The bassline definitely is from Blanka's theme, and that's easily identifiable and present for most of the track, but it's never a dominant aspect of the track. You get some simplification of the Blanka melody on the strings from :07-:21, but it's just a cameo and mixed in a way that actually de-emphasizes it; it needs to be more prominent. Same with the piano alluding to the theme here and there between :37-:44. At least :44-:51's usage of the theme was pretty clear.

1:29-2:36/end is a pure cut-and-paste of :06-1:13. That minute WAS actually really creative and interpretive, enough that it didn't bother me as much as copy-pastas normally do. Nonetheless, it was still weak to do that at the expense of further developing the arrangement.

In any case, this is a great base, but you need some more overt & upfront melodic usage or something that makes the Blanka theme more front and center for much more of the mix. As long as you do that and actually develop some other ideas beyond 1:29, you'd have a shot. These days loops of otherwise awesome arrangement ideas don't get it done alone. Cool stuff so far, Aaron, but go for the gold, don't coast.

NO (resubmit)

I gotta agree with Larry on his points made, and add that the piano is sounding pretty mechanical overall; humanizing that would be a nice step as well.

This is a solid foundation, but The production on the low end needs to be cleaned up, and the arrangement needs to have the source in a more dominant position.

No, please resubmit

Drums are sounding pretty good except the kick is really weak and buried. Snare is nice and snappy. Piano does sound mechanical, guitar and brass and strings are super noticeably fake. Bass is quite indistinct and ends up sounding muddy as a result. The mallets sound pretty sweet!

I agree with the gentlemen that I can't really hear the source anywhere but in the bassline and some chord progressions. The guitar seemed like it started *almost* alluding to the melody and then quickly dropped it. Need to hear some of the melody!

Another big issue here is the repetition. I agree with Larry that the cut/pasted part sounds creative (even while lacking source melody), but copy/pasta is such a letdown, as is the fadeout "I'm out of ideas" ending.

NO (resubmit)