*NO* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time 'Fresh from the Sewer'

DragonAvenger

Your ReMixer name: Monobrow

Your real name: Katie Kinkel

Name of game(s) arranged: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (SNES)

Name of arrangement: Fresh from the Sewers

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Sewer Surfin'

So a couple of things. This song is named after the short-lived "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Pies" which were "Fresh from the sewers, to you!"... Even as a kid I thought that tagline sounded... awesome!

http://youtu.be/_pHrprTsMVc lol

The only time I got to eat one of these mythical pies was on a family road trip, and I have to admit that I got kinda sick after making myself eating the entire thing, and I distinctly remember the taste, and how overloaded with sugar and goo (that's vanilla puddin' dude!) it was. But it didn't matter, because I got to eat a TMNT pie. In the late 80s to early 90s, like many kids my age, I had the mania. I had things like 'The Coming out of Their Shells Tour' tape from Pizza Hut, a Pizza Thrower, both NES games, cereal bowls, action figures, I'd seen/rented all TMNT shows (even some after school say no to drugs special w/ Michelangelo) & after much quarter borrowing, beat the original arcade game. Watching the original movie in the theater was life-changing. I felt an urge to play in storm drains and try to look down manholes. I begged for a skateboard. Pizza was my favorite food, neon green my favorite color. Ah my childhood!

So anyway, when Kyle invited me to this project, I took one of the last unclaimed tracks, the ever-popular 'Sewer Surfin'... Then I started to hear everyone's WIPs... guitars everywhere, and guitarless me was intimidated. But I decided to just embrace what I knew and organ/synth/crazy it up everywhere, let loose, and have fun. And I did! Turtle Power!

Also thanks to Pongball's midi @vgmusic for figuring out some of those crazy arpeggios.

-------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Whoa, this is super cool! That organ and the bass give this track a bit of a groovy 60's feel! That bass is so super funky. I'm loving your vibrato leads.

You've used the source really well, with some really fabulous personalization. Nice changeup at 2:23, and soloing at 2:47! I wish that vocal clip had been more clearly audible (I assume it says "turtle power!"). So many fun ideas and great writing in here.

This is quite a busy mix with many things playing in the same range... it borders on too busy, the organ and other backing synth work gets buried under the lead sometimes, but overall I think you've separated the sounds well enough. The care given to stereo separation really helps in this case.

Fadeout ending? Huh, well ok then.

I dig this. Turtle Pies!

edit: I don't want to hold this vote up. I'm going to agree with my fellow judges that some eq/balance cleanup is needed, also bring the bass out a little bit better. Shouldn't take much to get it to a pass, it's still super cool.

NO(resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

I am not really hearing a low end in this at all. THere is some in the kick, but otherwise it's really pushed in the mids, with a distinct absence in the low end. I really like the arrangement, but it sounds like everything here is pushed into a really small filtered space.

I really think this is cool, but i'd check to see if you have a highpass filter on the master or something, it sounds really cramped in a specific frequency range. I A/B'ed it with several other songs just to check my listening setup.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Definitely going to echo Andrew's crits on the track EQ levels.

There's a lot of clutter at places like 1:38 & 2:34., partly due to the aforementioned EQ crowding and partly because of the overal balance of parts. Gotta bring forward the melodic elements and push back the supporting parts. The noise from the sustained notes + bass is just clashing over everything.

Wow that lead at 2:46 is really loud in the mids. Same issue as above, just more pronounced.

Really liking the style and arrangement work. Fantastic attention to detail in the drum writing. I was a little offput at first at the drum pattern at the beginning, but I think it grew on me after a while. I love the frenetic feel of the whole thing. Lots of great energy.

Tons of potential here, but the EQ & balance issues are killing this. Bring back the lows, clean up the mid/mid-lows, and put the supporting instruments in their place. Bring it back here, yo!

NO resubmit, please

Basically in agreement with the other Js. Feels super-cramped and really assaulting those mid/hi-ranges. Need to hit that low end beef it up I think. Also some times the lead gets super loud and ventures in the clipping territory. Keep an ear on that.

Really great approach to the source though. Love the energy. Killer ideas, but needs to execute better.

NO resub