La-Mulana - Giant's Rage/Cry

Lemonectric

• 1 month later...

So nice to listen to a new Hylian Lemon piece after a good while. Great stuff as usual, and seems like you've been getting better while still doing your thing!

I have one nitpick, the leads are a tiny bit loud to my taste in the first third. The quieter bit in the middle is of course fine, but the last two thirds in general seem a bit better balanced.

--Eino

• 9 months later...

What did it sound like before? It'd help to hear what you did to it. It looks like there may have been the lofi-but-fitting orchestral elements added? Lead melody variation? Anyways, I think the judges are right, and I agree, that the swing section and on are where the interpretation was greatest. :) I'd estimate that it's about 70% similar or so to Giant's Rage. Something like that. The arp tone and the lead's melodic contour are rather similar, but you had some good flourishes and portamento on the lead that differentiates some. Perhaps you could try changing the harmonic direction too; instead of following the original chord progression, maybe change the second half of a bar's chord progression and do a key modulation out, and back in later. Or maybe go down to a minor third below the root and ascend to the root in the bass.

Edited by timaeus222

Added old version back to the thread. Mostly it's a changed-up melody line with a couple background additions. The concept of the track moving from a fairly straightforward cover to a looser interpretation (rhythm included) was intentional, buuuuut I guess it's not entirely in line with OCR's philosophy. I can try out some chord changes if necessary.

Okay, so the differences I notice:

- 0:21 has a new chord movement in the tubular bells

- 0:27 has a little trill and then a little ascent in the melody

- New notes at 0:29

- Octave shift soon after, followed by bells, and this is done again later

- Other subdivisions and soaring movement in the melody 'n stuff

Yeah, I like the new melodic direction. I couldn't tell what changed at first on full consecutive listens, but when I compared them side-by-side, the changes are pretty clearly differentiating. This is well on its way. You might wanna have a judge take another look at it to be sure, but I think it's got a much better shot now.

Edited by timaeus222

I approve! Sorry I had to be a dick in the judge thread; like I said your mix sounded awesome on its own, nothing against you or your musicianship, but I feel a lot more comfortable about passing this new version with regards to the OCR standards.

GG Lemon! Love it :-)

Haha no worries! If I ever complain about the judges, it's always in jest. :<