*NO* Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA) 'Heart of Darkness' *RESUB* *FALLTHROUGH*

DragonAvenger

Original Decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39279

Thanks for the help!

Emunator actually uploaded the newer version of the mix as part of the DKC3 album, so you can find it on that website.

The remix is titled "Heart of Darkness" and the write-up info is found here:

A direct link:

For reference, here is the OLD VERSION of the remix that was judged previously:

Finally, the original source:

Significant changes in the newer remix are a shorter length, from trimming parts of the arrangement that were either redundant or not cohesive enough, and subtle re-balancing of levels on a few instruments. The biggest gripes of the original were that parts of the arrangement were a bit too drawn out and some of the lead instruments needed more clarity. I hope these issues were well taken care of, as it already felt pretty close the last time.

----------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I haven't heard the first version (can't even find it), so I'll just go by this version. I really like this arrangement. It does have a bit of a repetitive issue, the melody is mainly verbatim and simple, and a lot of the instrumentation is similar-ish, and the leads do sound just a bit generic, but there is enough personalization on the melody and lots of yummy ear candy.

The high end is quite hot and piercy. Those synths are way too busy above 13-14KHz or so, ouch. Some of the higher percussion is up there, too.

I LOVE the wub bass, it is simple but really well done. Could do with a touch less low mids but it's ok as-is I think. Bass writing is great. Drums are varied and also sound great.

Enjoyable song! Gotta tone down that harsh high-end. It's a pass for me once that is done.

NO (resubmit)

In addition to what Kristina mentioned about the piercing frequencies of the synths, I think the synth design and sequencing is pretty bland overall. The melody line is played with almost no changes to the volume, envelope, automation, duration of note - not to mention, it is a very standard saw. You don't need ALL those things, but you need more than what you have here. It is used more like a background instrument than a lead, which one would expect to have more character and expression. Sometimes the buzziness of the synths also makes them step over each other.

What you have going for you is a good arrangement, good mood, and good dynamics. This is 85% of the way there, I think, but needs work on the last 15% to hop over the bar.

NO (resubmit)

I think the synth design and sequencing is pretty bland overall. The melody line is played with almost no changes to the volume, envelope, automation, duration of note - not to mention, it is a very standard saw.

Yeah, there's definitely something about how bland/vanilla/generic most of the synths sound, especially that saw. I wouldn't have been able to pinpoint it precisely like Palp did, but he's on the money. There's a lot of potential to get sophisticated and varied with the sound design, but instead the lead synths are basically the same tone and feel the entire time. It undermines the dynamics of the composition and really drags down an otherwise interesting/solid arrangement. 1:25-1:28 sounded flat for a moment there; small thing, but just noting it.

Chimpa's also right about those piercing frequencies; I wasn't dying, but they could stand to be toned down so this isn't as abrasive. Can't offer much besides co-signing, but it can definitely be spruced up and pass if you're willing to tap some people on the shoulder and worked on what Palp mentioned.

I'll also say, the bar's gone up since some of your older submissions, but you've definitely shown improvement, so a NO isn't saying you've haven't grown as an artist and there's no reason to be discouraged. The bar's not overly far from where this is at, but the production needs more work.

NO (resubmit)