*NO* Xenogears, Civilization 4 & Chrono Cross '(You Give Me) Wings'

DragonAvenger

Your ReMixer name: Ivan Hakštok

Your e-mail address: hakstock@gmail.com

Your userid: 43292

Name of game(s) arranged: Xenogears, Civilization 4, Chrono Cross

Name of arrangement: (You Give Me) Wings

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Wings from Xenogears, Baba Yetu from Civilization 4, Dream of the Shore from Chrono Cross

Link to the original soundtrack: Wings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOetrgQge8A

Baba Yetu:

Dream of the Shore:

Your own comments about the mix: This is a remix that placed third in the January 2013 free month on DoD. I've fixed several issues since then.

Source breakdown:

0:00 - 0:43 = synth is based on the short break from 0:56 to 1:03 of Wings

0:44 - 1:27 = based on the verse from Wings with some additional guitar wankery

1:28 - 1:49 = based on the chorus from Wings

1:50 - 2:03 = again based on the short break from Wings

2:04 - 2:24 = Baba Yetu 1st verse, should be pretty recognizable

2:25 - 2:47 = again the verse from Wings with some more guitar wankery

2:48 - 3:08 = Dream of the Shore, it's sped up from the source but should be easy to recognize

3:09 - 3:25 = outro based on that short break from Wings

Edited by Palpable
closed

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done an extensive source check but it seems like there is enough there on a cursory listen. This track sounds good but I think the lead guitar (one of them anyway) is shockingly loud and quite dry and doesn't sit nicely in the mix. The drums and bass sound too quiet by comparison. Rhythm guitars sound really good to me though. I like this arrangement and I don't think it will take much to rebalance the leads and drums, using the level of the rhythm guitars as reference.

NO (resubmit)

This arrangement is excellent and is one of the best rock arrangements i've heard in the inbox is a really long time, but the mixing needs another pass over. It's over-compressed and the lead sounds really brittle. The leads go from being too loud to overly quiet, and the drums don't have near enough punch. I think cleaning out a lot of the low-mid mud will let the drums through more, and adjusting the lead tone would help a lot. Some very specific cuts in the rhythm guitar EQ will allow you to keep the warmth without forcing your compressor to work too hard.

Hit me up via PM if you want super specific assistance, I love the arrangement and would love to make sure this gets on the site.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the drums are getting lost behind the guitars for sure here - especially the snare. Lead guitar has an almost shrill tone that could be tamed a bit either by adjusting the effects or a bit of EQ work. Odd volume drop off when lead #2 takes over, only to be overpowered again by lead #1.

On the positive side, there's some great arrangement ideas. Drum writing is really well executed.

Overall, try to clean up the mixing to get the parts balanced and this should be good to go.

NO resubmit, please