*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Cid Highwind Metal'

DragonAvenger

I think the genre shift works pretty well, and Cid's theme definitely can be pretty badass in metal. Right now the track is pretty much a cover of the theme, so I'd love you to work on adding more arrangement into the track. Adjusting the melody in more sections, and maybe working on some original sections to break the repetitions up would be a good start.

Production wise I felt the drums were a bit flimsy overall, especially on the snare and crash cymbal. There's a lot of room reverb in them, which compared to the guitars doesn't fit. The strings are also very stiff, so some adjustment there would be great. I think you can bring up the bass a touch more to get some more presence and give the track a bit more of a badass feel. The 2:10 section feels like the chords aren't quite right, so I'd go back and check out that section to make sure everything is kosher.

Good start here, but it needs work. Definitely do some work on the arrangement to vary things up and make it less repetitive, and look into your balance/production. Good luck!

NO

Good crits from DA here. I'll add that the drums feel very robotic here due to the repeated snare hits being at the same timbre/velocity level. Parts feel out of balance with the guitars really overpowering everything else. Gonna echo that the chords at 2:10 - 2:36 need to be looked at & corrected.

In case you're not familiar with the OCR Submission Standards, we're looking for a degree of arrangement from the remixer. There's nothing wrong with covers, it's just not what we're looking for here. This track sticks very close to the original source, so additional personalization would be needed to be accepted.

Good base here though. You've clearly got the skills, so there's no reason you wouldn't be able to either fix this one up or another track for posting. Good luck to you.

NO resubmit, please

• 3 weeks later...

Deia and Justin covered the issues really well here. This is a decent cover, and you seem to have the guitar chops, and I agree I like the metal take on this source. But this mix does stick a bit too close to the source to be considered for OCR. This could be easily altered by making one of the verbatim verse sections into a wicked solo, and I for one would love to hear that!

The drumming would also need to be improved, the sequencing is in fact very robotic (no humanization, note velocity variation, etc.), and I agree that the snare and crash samples aren't working too well.

The pad you're using here, I can't quite tell what it is, it is stringlike, but it sounds really stiff, it's a strange timbre. You may want to experiment with other samples for the background pad.

I do hope you'll fix this up.

NO (resubmit)