*NO* Donkey Kong Country Returns, Blush, Return All Robots 'Sunset Shade'

DragonAvenger

Asking for a DL link, questioning direct sampling? - Deia

Howdy!

Remixer name: Waveformer (formerly nintendude794)

Email address:

User ID: 26450

Game(s) Arranged: Donkey Kong Country Returns; Blush; Return All Robots

Name Of Arrangement: Sunset Shade

Individual Song(s) Arranged:

"Sloppy Sands" from DKCReturns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSr99ch9zls&list=PLF97C1BBDEF571D81)

"Our Digital Ocean" from Blush (http://dbsoundworks.bandcamp.com/track/blush-our-digital-ocean)

"Training Montage" from RARobots! (

)

I wanted to remix this ever since I first heard it in the game. I tried this recently, and so here I am submitting it on a whim.

Sinceriously with Thanks,

G. Hunter "Rubix" Short

a.k.a. Waveformer

formerly nintendude794

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

This is a nice chill listen. But for OCR, there are issues.

That mallet timbre does sound like it was ripped right from the source. While I feel like some direct sampling is ok, in this track that mallet timbre from the source plays quite a prominent role, and I think there is too much of it.

My bigger issue with this track is that it never goes anywhere. The track stays in intro mode until the 2:06 when finally a lead appears. The lead writing and two flutey timbres are soft and mixed too far in the back, and the writing is verbatim to the source melody. At 2:54 you've added a guitar pattern which adds some interest, but it isn't enough as the exact same leadwork is going on in the background (guitar thingy shouldn't be in the foreground imo). That same flutey melody just repeats again after that (at 3:55), verbatim.

The drumming sounds very much like one continuing loop. There are a few arp patterns and sfx and things to break up the arrangement here and there, but it's not nearly enough to prevent this from being a very repetitive listen.

I feel like the outro begins at 4:39. The track is 6:41 so that's a full two minutes of gradually softening outro. I find myself asking when will this end. Sorry.

Nice ideas, but the track needs a lot more development. If in fact the mallet timbre is ripped right from the source, I recommend you make your own similar pattern from your own samples. I'd replace the flutey leads with something more original, mix them more in the foreground, and do some soloing somewhere. Add a really soft drumless breakdown somewhere as well. Could be a really cool arrangement.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 months later...

Great points made by Kris above.

Having a directly sampled (it sounds like, at least) part from the OST featured this prominently is pretty much a NO, override by itself.

Liking the chilled vibe here (how many times have I said that before? doesn't matter). I agree, though, that this basically stays in the same gear with parts entering/exiting to support the same progression. Not saying you need to kick it up into high intensity territory or anything (actually, don't do that at all), but some contrast in the backing part to break into a B section could help keep the listener interested.

Though it's a little unusual, I do like the idea of including cameos of other themes within what's primarily a Donkey Kong arrangement. The arrangement itself is pretty conservative overall with some pretty close to verbatim treatment of source melodies and repeated patterns. I wouldn't mind hearing some more expansion/personalization on those.

NO resubmit, please

Edited by Nutritious

I don't have as much of a problem with sampling when it's using sparingly, but your mallet sound here is happening pretty much continuously until it fades at 4:00. As the others have pointed out, because you're using it a hell of a lot and the mix almost relies upon the sound in places, it would be great to drop your own sample in there.

I would love to see a bit more variation in the arrangement. I don't think you need too much more though. The guitar at 1:00/2:54, the flute at 2:07, and the synthy lead at 2:30 vary things for me, but all the underlying stuff is very repetitive. You essentially have the same base with the occasional instrument coming in over the top to add variation. It would be great to hear you tear back some layers and add some different elements here and there. At the 4:00 mark I'm enjoying the slightly varied soundscape, now that the mallet is faded away, you have some great stuff happening here with the bass and light piano sounds. I would like to hear more of this kind of thing earlier in.

I don't have any major production crits.

Lets lose that sample and find something a little more original. Once that's in place, vary your soundscape in parts so things aren't so loopy, then I can see this working.

NO (please resub)

Edited by Jivemaster