DragonAvenger

Remixer name: Spumph

Email:

userid: 52402

Games: Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask

Name of arrangement: Storms Over Clocktown

Songs arranged: Song of Storms, Clocktown

Comments:

This OCR account is managed by two people, myself, Jared Bean (Wumph), and Russel Anthony (Spud). I wrote the piece back in 2010, but I just recorded it in 2013 with Russel doing all of the producing work. Like most of my arrangements, it can be considered a little "over the top," but I'm rather fond of it and I hope you enjoy it! The bulk of the material comes from Song of Storms and Clocktown, and I've included snippets from other Zelda songs such as the original's Overworld and flute melody, Ocarina of Time's Zelda's lullaby, and Majora's Mask's Song of Healing.

------------

(Be aware they do use the variations in Clocktown, at least day 3)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

There are some really nice arrangement ideas in here, and I was really liking how you approached some of this. I like that you use the third day of Clocktown specifically, as it has the much more sinister overtones. I do think that the mix does get a bit long overall, and the cameos feel a bit out of place at times, especially when they aren't really fitting the style you were using earlier in the mix. It makes the track feel a bit to all-over-the-place. I think condensing the mix down a touch and adding a bit more focus would do it some good.

The bigger issue here is the recording quality and the piano. The intonation is a bit painful, and overall the recording quality is a bit low. Along with that is that there's a lot of clipping in the louder sections that need to be addressed. I'd love you to get this into a daw and be able to tweak it to fix things up and get a really nice tone out of it.

Really enjoyable to listen to, but it's gotta get fixed up before we can post it.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, some really neat arrangement ideas here, I love how you've woven so many sources in. It does feel a bit "all over the place" but I'm cool with that, as long as there is enough source. It almost seems to start being a medley, but you return to the Clocktown and SoS sources frequently enough to avoid medley-itis, and there is plenty of personalization and unique transitions. I love the dynamics of this piece, it holds my interest all the way through, it flows beautifully and has tons of emotion. You clearly have quite a bit of piano playing talent and I'm impressed.

*sigh*

Why does the production quality have to be this low? Did you play this into a daw, can you change the piano sample? This sounds like a very ancient stand-up piano, giving the performance a very choppy and restrained feel. There is hardly any stereo separation in the track, I do hear some clipping in the louder passages as Deia mentioned, and overall it sounds like a mono recording from the 1940s. Any way you can fix that up? This could be quite awesome if brought up to current standards.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Both Deia and Chimpa have this down. Minor point, but yipes at 4:29-4:30. :lol: There were other more minor intonation issues, but they weren't a huge deal in the big picture, and I could look past those if the production was good.

5:00, 5:03 and a TON of other spots until 6:04 had distortions, with 5:00's sounding like a fart. C'mon, guys, really? You gotta bring it better than that. And encoding this at 128kbps is no good either.

The recording quality's pretty awful, and it hurts and otherwise promising arrangement. If you can record this with a better setup, avoid distortion, and reduce any instances of poor intonation, you have a winner that would easily pass. Again, cool arrangement, but production's important as well. Why half-ass the production like this when the arrangement's so good?

NO (resubmit)