OCR01491 - *YES* 7th Guest 'Microscopism'

djpretzel

Yes, another American Album track. :)

I daresay it's about time for another American Album track to grace the front page of Overclocked Remix, wouldn't you agree? Hereby I submit what may be my 2nd favorite track on the album - an industrial medley of sorts from the classic PC game, "The 7th Guest." And in a totally wacky time signature too!

Originally I wasn't going to go industrial with this... but it just sounded so good! I kept with the original 7th Guest flavor though (piano, congas, muted trumpet, etc).

I do have plenty of new music, but it all seems to be embedded in other remix projects or movies these days. In the meantime, enjoy a taste of Fat Man remixage.

Mazedude

This one had a bit of a long intro, I thought, compared to some of Mazedude's other stuff which tends to get right to the meat of things earlier on in the song. But once things pick up, this displays lots of strong qualities that are present in his other posted mixes. There's creative drumwork with lots of fills and 'treats' like stuttering, which keeps things interesting, along with well-sequenced and programmed synths and a strong arrangement + song structure. The use of voice samples was pretty creative well, though I was sort of expecting that they'd be more mangled or processed in some fashion. My only two complaints here are production-related. One is that the piano sample is really lo-fi.. very much sounding like a GM piano. It would have been nice to have a higher quality one. The other is that the melody at times (like around the middle of the mix, on the sinewave lead) sounds somewhat drowned out by everything else.

However, these things are not major issues. This is a cool mix with everything one would expect from an established artist like Mazedude.

YES

Very very cool. Reminds me of Descent. with the chord choices around 0:30-1:00.

The intro is cool, so it can be as long as it wants. Beats are awesome as always. Good to see you built in the Anti-Moshing defence mechanism as Darke pointed out.

I love the jerky-sound the mix has as a result of that time signature.

Anyway, nothing else to say. Except maybe to comment on the weather.

(It's cold)

Y-Y-YES

The 7th Guest Soundtrack - 03 "Dolls of Doom"

I have to say, "The American Album" is one of the best things to come out of the community in 2005. I loved several of the tracks on there, and this one was no exception especially on the arrangement level. Played this back on VGF72 as part of a 5-episode run where I gradually covered the entire album.

Chris listed "Microscope", "Cake Music", "Dolls of Doom" and "Coffin Dance" as the source tunes, although the official soundtrack only lists "Dolls of Doom" on there. Luckily though, there's more than enough arrangement taken from just that one theme to qualify everything else here.

Just loved the sound choices, loved the various voice samples, loved the time signature. I could loop this tons of times. Actually, I can and I have. The guy's a master at his craft. "COME BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK" with another submission from the album anytime, and thanks for the service you've done for the people out there with this top-flight work.

YES

This is probably one of the best Mazedude mixes I've heard in a while.

I still have some issues with the bland production, but this is a lot more sophisticated and better presented than the other stuff he's sent in as of late.

I thought the ending was a bit cheap though - and I don't care much for the voice over effects throughout in general.

All in all though, very capable arrangement and interesting sound choices (inspite of the hit or miss quality issues). Quality mix. YES