*NO* Mega Man 8 'Flash Bang Misery'

DragonAvenger

Hi,

my name is Bruno Vouillemy and my artist name 'Metalltool'

E-mail adress:

No existing website (http://www.youtube.com/user/Metalltool)

userid: 44823

Game: Megaman 8

System: Sega Saturn/ PS1

Track: Grenade Man Stage

Remix name: Flash Bang Misery

Original composer: Shusaku Uchiyama

'My' remix:

Original version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkn0cffcHJY

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

The snare sounded too plodding, not varied enough with the pattern or velocities, and too upfront here. Meanwhile, the bassline (arguably) felt too quiet during the densest parts.

The arrangement was suuuuuuuuper cover-ish to start, without anything major in the way of creative interpretation from :26-1:41. The lead, backing chords, tone and tempo were near-identical with the original and I just wasn't feeling much of an interpretive approach in performing it; it just came off like a grade-up arrange with some improved instrumentation.

1:41-2:08 did have some more creative synth soloing. The lead writing was cool, but this was also an opportunity to vary up the backing pattern more as well; you did that more after 2:08, so keep moving in that direction. Good original guitar writing over the foundation of the source from 2:08-3:02.

The brass samples used from 1:54-2:07 & 2:45-2:59 lacked credibility. This could benefit from a fuller, richer sound there. Same with the opening strings to a much lesser extent, though those sounded much more serviceable.

The ending at 2:59 felt fairly abrupt; it WAS a resolution, but didn't feel very satisfactory, at least at first. It took some getting used to, but I'm cool with it.

OK, so in short, this is cool and has potential, and the lead synth and guitar rock the heezy.

That said, here's what you can do to enhance the execution of this:

* Vary up the snare intensity and timing more and just get more creative with the percussion

* Add more personalization and interpretation to your treatment of the source from :26-1:41

* Improve the realism of the brass and string parts

Good start, Bruno, with some awesome performances. I hope you're willing to see how much further you can take this!

NO (resubmit)

This arrangement does play rather close to the source, but I think there's a lot of personalization here. I agree with Larry about the snare, it sounds like you wrote just a few patterns and breaks, then copied them over and over, giving it a robotic feel. Also the snare is too up-front, and if you take some mids out of it, make it sound less woody, it won't feel so in-your-face.

What bothers me more is that relentless hat pattern, it never stops and it is always the same velocity.

As for the strings and brass, the opening strings sound just real enough to be considered real, but their attacks give them away as fake. In this case it might be better to either use a better string sample and humanize it right, or switch to a more obviously synthetic timbre. Same exact crit applies to the brass happening later on.

The guitar work is excellent. I like the lead synth work although I'd prefer a bit more modulation (like more noticeable vibrato) on the timbre.

So yeah, improve the snare, vary those hat patterns (drop them out completely at 2:08 for example), and decide whether you want realistic or more synthetic strings and brass. I'm looking forward to hearing this one back.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

TONS of potential here; reminds me in some ways of old Bubblegum Crisis tracks (original series)

Kris mentioned the hihat pattern - yeah, can't unhear. It sits there thwacking away at the same velocity and it's dead-on/quantized and it ends up feeling like a really fast metronome that someone accidentally left on. Don't mean to be harsh, here, but the REST of the sequencing is so good that this bit sticks out to me as well.

Don't be afraid to do more with the bass now and then - this is the type of genre/style that can really benefit from some funky bass solos or at least a flourish or two.

Guitar solo towards the end was great, spacing out the timing and taking a step back from the frenzied pace to ruminate on things a bit.

Larry cited the brass, but I wouldn't get too hung up on that - I don't think that's gonna make it or break it, and you could probably even use the exact same sound and just beef it up with DSP/EQ.

This is very CLOSE to being a superb rock/fusion arrangement; as Larry mentions, it plays things a little too close at time, so I think with a bit more personalization/interpretation on the arrangement, some adjustments to the drum line (specifically those running hats), and a rebalance/EQ that adds a bit more punch to the drums and bass, you'd be good to go. I'm hoping this feedback is valuable and you give implementing these changes a shot, because I think this arrangement has a lot of promise!

NO borderline

• 3 weeks later...

Right from the outset of the rock ensemble, it felt crowded. The snare, pad, and the lead instruments are fighting somewhat for the space in the mids, which isn't helped by the reverb settings used. The pad especially doesn't need to be taking up that much room, and you should play with EQ and reverb settings to make some room there. As noted, the snare sound is pretty plodding, and some variation to how it plays might help. I think some extra attention to the percussion sequencing wouldn't be amiss.

Since I'm saying a lot of the same things the others have said, I'll second Liontamer's suggestion to add more personalization to the first half. It bordered on being a cover, and we look for more personalized approaches in what we accept.

This is a decent start and I'd like to see another revision.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Palpable

Not much to add what the others have already mentioned. I do think a little more personalization in the beginning will really help give the track an edge over the original and draw listeners in sooner to your work rather than waiting until further in. There's a lot of good production advice from the other judges, and I'd definitely like you to fix up that hat and snare. Aside from that, I think you're really on the right track here, and some tweaking will do this a lot of good.

Good luck!

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I think the big problem with this track is that because your production quality is so high, the faults pop out a lot easier. I personally felt there was a decent amount of variation here to keep interest, with some really satisfying soloing. Your synth leads define technomanga, and your guitar tone is great, please give it to me. The general consensus (and I agree) is the second half of the track is more interesting and original than the first half. Source usage is too verbatim in the first half, and needs a little more "you" in it.

The main thing I dislike about the track is actually the drum rolls of all things. I know they're in the original source tune but here they make things feel like they're tripping over every time the roll happens. This is especially apparent near the beginning at 0:13. I think you could safely move away from those rolls and do your own thing in those places. I didn't have as much of a problem with your snare, but it is very static. Your mix of rock and electronic elements doesn't particularly demand a super varied snare, but changing your velocities and tone slightly throughout would be enough I think.

Also I think your track slightly cuts off at the end a bar or so too soon. I'd drag that end marker out a tad and re-export it.

Do not feel discouraged by the wall of NO above, this mix IMO is stellar, as in, fix these couple of things and it's a SUPER yes and have my babies from me.

NO (super uber borderline)

Edited by Jivemaster

YES (conditional)

Personally, I happen to really like this. I didn’t particularly enjoy the original, but done up in this synthy-proggy-rock a la Casiopea really works. I thought the ending was a little anti-climactic, though. The guitar especially warrants uber props, because it just SOARS. All of the appropriate rock fusion keyboard sounds are here, and the drums fit right in with that style. In terms of production and arrangement for the style, this is picturesque. Really loved the performances.

However! It’s drenched in reverb. I get that it’s supposed to have kind of a “live” sound to it, but the reverb is frankly overwhelming and distracting. Would love to hear a version with the reverb scaled back a little. I think it could also work wonders on the definition of the drums.

It’s a bit short, but all that means is I have to go back and listen multiple times, because dat guitar.

So yeah, turn down that reverb a bit, and we're in business.

High octane Mega Man rock out. Good stuff going on here, but there are some subtle issues.

Production quality is full and well done for the most part, but the mix is hot in the high-mids (particularly the lead guitar, which also has a touch too much reverb). The track has a tinny quality. The solo jam at the end is sweet, but it is dragged down by the aforementioned details.

Arrangement is conservative. Spiced up with some cool soloing.

This is just barely under the bar for me. It could be improved significantly by dialing back the reverb a bit and taking some more time with mix. Try to shift the balance so that the high frequencies aren’t so dominating.

NO (borderline)