Bells of Kefka

Hi I'd like you guys to critique a remix I made of "Kefka theme" (Final Fantasy VI). I'm a fellow remixer with my own style and use FL Studio. I'd like some suggestions as to how I can improve my skills.

A few words on the mix are,"This is a trance remix of "Kefka Theme" (Final Fantasy VI) that I mixed with some of my own music. For something different I incorporated bells into it and did this in honor of The Joker, Kefka, and Adachi (Persona 4). Hope you enjoy this.":wink:

I'm a beginner and hope you all have a nice day. Remix can be found at

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/vc4gofft7egsgon/Bells_of_Kefka.mp3

It's parse. It need more atmospheric thing for trance. You could use pad and chord with those pads. You also need to get a layer or two of synth so you can cover more space with the lead.

I also noted a bit of distortion. Are you equing to make space for your synth? And you could use a limiter to at least keep it under the 0DB .

Otherwise good start.

It's parse. It need more atmospheric thing for trance. You could use pad and chord with those pads. You also need to get a layer or two of synth so you can cover more space with the lead.

I also noted a bit of distortion. Are you equing to make space for your synth? And you could use a limiter to at least keep it under the 0DB .

Otherwise good start.

Thanks for your input. I honestly don't know how to EQ well (got any guides for that). I was mainly trying to do a remix of Kefka's theme my way and evoke a feel of sinister whimsy. Guess there's always room for improvement. Also was the distortion because I used a distorted guitar plugin and quieted it down (I wanted more flavor).

My next remix is going to be a Persona 4 one of "Velvet Room"/"A Poem for Everyone's Souls" and something else. I was originally nervous about submitting it here because of the site's high standards but now I feel better.

EDIT: I made a new version of "Bells of Kefka". I believe this one is better and has more zing to it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tekmr8jglqrt8

Edited by Ronald Poe

This is very loud. The rumbling stuff underneath isn't actually really contributing anything. Overall the arrangement doesn't really go anywhere; it's kind of plunky/choppy, and not really trance either. Not a lot of instruments going on.

From here I guess I'd say try identifying what each of your instruments is currently doing, and what you meant it to be doing. EX: A bass doesn't usually lead, and a lead doesn't usually play really low. Also, make sure not every instrument is doing the exact same thing. The whole remix sounds like it's practically in unison (one voice, monophonic), though it might not be on your side.

Have a general idea of what you want to hear. Many times, you need a bass, some sort of harmonies (chordal instrument), a lead, and maybe some drums. Like this.

Edited by timaeus222