*NO* Chrono Trigger 'The Rising Palace'

djpretzel

Hello Ocremix! I've come back again to attempt at another remix. I sent in my Mario Kart 64 one which got rejected and will now come back with something even better. I know it has some technical problems, but I'm not so great at that sort of thing, so I tried my best.

It's a remix of the Undersea Palace theme from Chrono Trigger, and I called it The Rising Palace!

Hope this makes it in!

:D

-MSL

Source: http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/ct.rar - CT 3-08 Undersea Palace

Intro is sounding reverb heavy, but buildup is promising. Strings are maybe a little overbearing. Starting to sound over-reliant on the source material, but we get a nice break around 40 seconds in. The techno beat works in a strange way since you're playing a 4/4 beat over a 3/4 time signature.

Those strings are pretty much killing the mix, whenever they come in, the mix starts sounding less professional, and when they're gone it sounds really well textured. The break at 1:53 was just strange, it didn't work at all well. More like a transition attempt that didn't really work. You don't have to incorporate all parts of the source into your remix. If something isn't working, don't be afraid to leave it out.

The second half repeats the general sound of the beginning, still conservative with the original. The rhythm synth is becoming repetative. Even though you've auto-filtered it through the mix, it's still the same sound playing the same bar over and over. The end was a little abrupt.

I'd recommend working on a smoother soundscape. You have a good groove set up, but the background sounds like it's soaking in reverb where the strings sound like they're bone-dry. Use something less sharp for this type of mix.

NO

Plain synths, fake piano and bleh beats to intro things with. Sloppy, murky texture that makes it hard to hear what's really going on. Sound like you initially copied the SPC/MIDI note-for-note and then tried to add your own touches to it.

Moved away from that lame cover-ish style at :41, but the arrangement sounds directionless until 1:22. Man these were some murky strings and piano. These beats don't even fit the soundscape right.

Sloppy transition at 1:53 where all of a sudden everything sounded thinner (but still murky). The instrumentation was definitely no good the whole way through.

Every time the source melody played, it sounded like it was lifted verbatim from the source. The production here has no sense of judiciousness, and the sound combinations were poorly chosen.

NO

i actually liked the premise of this mix, but at times it does feel like a midi/spc rip with drums and some extra synths over the top. not all the time though.

a lot of details get lost in this mix because the production is so murky.

i'd like to hear a resubmit with more reinterpretation (we shouldn't even suspect that this is a midi rip if you want it to pass) and better production.

NO