Gremlins 2 Office

So here I am running Cubase and Reason trying to get them to play, and all they do is when the music starts to pick up I get the gremlins and all the sound goes to hell, in this grabbled mess :banghead: so i figured when "life gives you lemons, make lemonade...then throw it in Life's face for giving you lemons when you asked for oranges" -P.H Yeah so here it is, any thoughts? Im aware the drums can be repetitive, but that is whats holding this song back and Ive tried nothing and Im all out of ideas!!! Seriously though, I need much help with these drums. (preemptive shout out to timaeus222, Whats up?)

(I know its a long play, but bare with me here)

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-lesuer/gremlins

Okay, so it seems like the drums are just four kicks with a snare on the 2 and 4 and some very subtle hi hats. Some more drum fills would lessen the repetition. So something like this is what I mean. You can add in more explicit open hi hats, subdivide the hi hats, put a snare off the beat, etc.

The rising stab at 0:56 is pretty upfront, so that's what I keep hearing over everything else. Also, this just keeps plowing through with few transitions; 2:02 and 2:12 felt like they needed cymbals, 2:26 was sudden, etc. You have sections without drums sometimes, but they just pop in and out and I can't tell when I'm supposed to expect them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please specify which song(s) (eg timestamps in the YT vid) you've used. You know what you've used, I'm not gonna do the work for you.

I, or another mod, will give you a proper mod review when we know which source(s) to listen for. I recognize something from the video, but I'm not going back to check just that one song.

My basic impression is that this is a source+drums kind of arrangement, with some added glitching and annoying sound effects. The sound design is fine, but the mixing could use some work. Structurally, it doesn't seem to know where it's going. 1:24 is clearly when the intro is over and we've got the meat of the track, but is sort of loses direction after that part.

Proper mod review when you have proper source info.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, I'm still getting the rising stab at 0:56 to be too upfront. Didn't seem any different. Drums are still really simple/repetitive, despite the other changing things happening around it and how this is dance-y. 2:04 white noise is too resonant. 2:13 reverse white noise is too.

Better, but still lacking a clear direction. I just don't get how it's supposed to progress.

Edited by timaeus222

• 1 month later...
I wasn't sure if I should do this, given that two other mod d00ds posted first.

The worst that can happen is that the remixer gets two mod reviews, and the other mods point and laugh at you.

The best that can happen is that the remixer gets two mod reviews, and broader perspective on his remix.

If you have time, just do it. Nobody here calls dibs on tracks to review.

(also, links are working. i checked)

The worst that can happen is that the remixer gets two mod reviews, and the other mods point and laugh at you.

The best that can happen is that the remixer gets two mod reviews, and broader perspective on his remix.

If you have time, just do it. Nobody here calls dibs on tracks to review.

(also, links are working. i checked)

I wouldn't complain (cue desperate smile)......... :)!!

Source sounds a bit like Ghosts n' Goblins. Didn't notice that before.

I hear at most subtle hints of the source in the intro. At 0:32 I recognize the first discrete elements of the source, but it's a two-note pattern that could be filler in just about any track. Two notes. Long intro with no dominant source usage.

It doesn't transition well into the 1:24 part. The slowing-down tremolo effect there is cool, but it doesn't line up with the next part which makes that whole transition weak. There's something about the drums too that doesn't quite feel like it lines up with the rest of the track. Too early or too late, something's not right. There are also melodies that don't quite match the rhythm of the track (most egregiously at 2:28), which you should also look at.

The sound design here is full of cool futuristic effects and ring modulation and other nice things, but the melody synths themselves are nothing special... and what's worse is that they do nothing special either. Uninteresting sound design is fine as long as the stuff they play is interesting, but that's not the case here. Nothing jumps out as outright bad, but they could be mixed a little better to give more room for one another. Those cool effects crowd the low end of the mix too, you can high-pass them to clean up the lows.

Structurally, this is mostly just a part of the source with a dance backing and a very long intro. I don't think that's enough for ocr. As for dance overall, there's not a lot of bass drum after the intro. From 1:24 until the end, the bass drum is missing from almost half the length. That doesn't seem appropriate for the style. The long intro does, but not a lot else.

Speaking of the bass drum, there doesn't seem to be any other bass in here. There's some pads that range down there - which is a valid approach - but it makes the parts where the pads drop out (like 1:24) sound empty.

Those additional effects and elements you've used, including the processing on the sound effects at the end, are cool. A cleaner sound design and more deliberate structure and writing would improve the track a lot, you should also work on your timings; but it's going to take a lot of work to get this on ocr.