*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Distance of Time'

djpretzel

Just what everyone wanted, eh? A Chrono Trigger remix! But it's a good one, I promise.

Link: (It's the only link there, so it's easy to find).

OR: (Copy and Paste this or it won't work)

Title - Chrono Trigger - Distance of Time

Artist - Nigel Simmons

Songs from the game: Memories of Green, Brink of Time, Sewers Theme

Thanks!!!

Nigel

I enjoy this track, but thanks to prescription medication, for the time being i enjoy everything.

Looking at the big picture first, this track suffers from medleyitis...it's segments arent related or integrated well. There's no unified direction for the track. it sounds like three separate pieces. also, the arrangements are all rather conservative.

on the smaller scale, some of the partwriting is akward. Other times the partwriting sounds great. It seems like on the whole there are some great harmonic ideas that just arent executed very well.

I suppose it's close to the line though.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Memories of Green" (ct-1-05.spc), "The Brink of Time" (ct-2-13.spc) & "Underground Sewer" (ct-2-16.spc)

Heh. Yeah, as much as I love Nigel's work, I agree with Vigilante. I'm a little surprised as I felt the orchestration was also too thin/sparse at times, even for a small, more intimate setting. Didn't feel up to par with his other work to be honest.

The interpretation factor, yeah, that's hurting me too. Though the effort at personalization and expansion is clearly there, this just felt too straightforward for an orchestral adaptation with weak/non-existent transitions that prevented the segments from logically piecing together. Sometimes, instantaneous transitions work, but this wasn't the case here.

The lack of transition at 1:31 into "The Brink of Time" was rather disappointing. Same with the simplistic transition to "Underground Sewer" at 3:04, which was at least a little better, but still felt pasted together. The 5:12-5:40 section had some interpretation in terms of trying to weave bits of "The Brink of Time" with "Underground Sewer", but the transition into the fadeout ending featuring Brink of Time was also jerky. The ending was anti-climactic.

Add more interpretation & personalization, throw a little more meat on the bones for some parts, and tighten up the screws here with execution.

NO

These are so difficult to judge, 'cause it's always hard to point out things that could be done better.

Some parts of this remix are great, I heard them and I wanted to vote YES automatically, but other parts were like a kick to the nuts, they were so bland or just out of place for the mix.

First of all, I enjoyed the production of the piece. Everything was clear, the quiet parts were gentle and audible, and the loud parts were powerful, but crisp and clear. I rushed to turn the volume down, but then stopped myself when I realised that it actually sounded good when it was up. Kudos on that front.

When the Brink of Time part came in around 1:30 in, it seemed sudden, but it was sounded very well produced. The arrangement for that part is conservative, but the way you've transcribed it over to the orchestral sound is very powerful. The lower string just give it that powerful drive that the original was missing. The waltz piano gives it that "clock ticking" sound. What's nice is that this section lasts until 3:00, before the transition takes us into the next section. The change at 3:30 sounded a bit awkward. The pizz strings were a nice touch especially leading into the louder section from 4:30. Once again it sounds too loud initially, but it quickly becomes clear that it's just powerful and clear, not overly loud.

It has problems, but it's probably as good as it's going to get without overstepping the mark. The ending was nice too, the way it slowly heads out.

Considering two judges have already NO'ed this one, I'm tempted to stamp a YES OVERRIDE on it. But alas, fate is in the hands of the other 4 judges now.

YES

these are great orchestrations of well known chrono trigger themes.

notice that in the last sentence, "orchestrations" is plural. as vig and larry have asserted, this sounds like three different arrangements sewn together.

you made some very creative choices while adapting these three themes. this displays a lot of skill, and i would love to hear this done by a real orchestra.

all this being said, the arrangements are very conservative, and the transitions are non-existent.

this is a fine piece of music, but IMO, it doesn't fit the criteria for OCR.

NO

Awesome samples and production, but I'm inclined to agree with Larry, Jon, and Jesse. This feels like three different songs strung together with minimal attention paid to transitioning between them.

Dynamics in this piece are really good too, but in the end, I'd rather see a more cohesive piece of music, rather than three short and rather conservative movements.

NO (borderline)