What do you make of Jillian's new music video?

Draconiator

if you didn't see it.

I was working on a synopsis myself, and I NAILED the witch theme, but that's it. (Unfinished synopsis - https://docs.google.com/document/d/15pdfqVmYYJOxsAQxfdaCKsNZDFIjualbzhYR-t-QOL0/edit?usp=sharing )

Alrighty, now onto the video. It looks as if a girl is walking through the forest and comes up on some kind of magical mirror, probably placed there as a trap because she is caught by three witches soon afterward. One of them knocks her out and they start turning her into one of them? Anyway, she makes like Tubthumping (she gets knocked out, but she wakes up again), but she keeps getting put back to sleep. After a while she escapes and dives into a creek, which undoes the enchantments, and then she just relaxes in the water?

It made it to my Favorites anyway, and I know Jill is HUGE on wordplay and visualization. Overall, I LOVED it. Great job Jill!

I love the music, have been a fan of the arrangement since it was released. With the video, I really liked how much was achieved with makeup and costume and no CGI, not that I was expecting computer effects but I was reminded of fantasy movies with similar visual imagery and lots of CGI and I just liked the feel here very much in comparison.

From one viewing, my understanding of the story was that the main character simply comes across a magic mirror, and I understood the other characters to be some sort of tree or nature spirits that bewitch the character and then toy with her, having her go through transformations. She then makes for escape and purifies herself by diving into the water. Moral of the story? Hell if I know. If you see a mirror in the forest get the fuck out of there. It seemed a bit linear and straightforward, but I need to give it another viewing (to see if the visuals line up with the lyrics for instance). I appreciate it didn't cut into performance scenes (my pet peeve of music videos with stories).

when did a music video make sense

There's some sort of story being told, (think of it as visual poetry) but I haven't been able to connect all of the dots.

She's walking through the woods and comes across a mirror. Okay. Well, what happens when you normally look at a mirror? She could be seeing everything inside of herself.

She's then controlled and manipulated by these shoulder angel/demon things and undergoes a transformation. They place a mask on her, to hide who she is (on the inside)?

Someone else appears (without any face markings), and she escapes while the others are distracted by the newcomer. She runs away and eventually falls into a pond, where she presumably drowns (inside herself), causing her to wake up.

So maybe the moral is to not mask your inner self (or allow others to influence you to do so), or else you might drown in a pond? Your guess is as good as mine! :grin:

I'm interested in hearing more about the story and inspiration behind the piece.

Moral of the story? Hell if I know. If you see a mirror in the forest get the fuck out of there.

:grin::grin::grin:

Anyway, I agree with the practical costumes and makeup being pretty fantastic. Great, wild editing with creative visual effects being used all over the place. The music is professional and beautiful as expected.

As for the meaning of the video, one could easily assume that the strange and symbolistic visuals are nothing more than a trick to make it seem deeper than it really is(most music videos and movies do this), but I want to believe that there's at least something more than, umm... meets the eye in this video. It would be a bit of a letdown if it was just an allegory for being yourself without letting the world transform or make you into something different or some crap like that.