Kirby's Dream Land 3 - Dreamin' Of Them Funky Ripples

Jorito

So here's a funky, groovy remix of the song "Ripple Field" from the SNES game Kirby's Dream Land 3 that I originally did for MnP20. Never played the game myself but the source tune was very catchy, and it turned out to be a cool and fun track to work on.

Still debating if this is fresh enough to submit to the judges or not, so let's hear it :)

Remix:

https://soundcloud.com/jorito/kirbys-dream-land-3-dreamin-of-them-funky-ripples

Source:

Edited by Jorito
mod review complete

[MODREVIEW]

Hey there. Happy to review this for you.

- Loving the bass jam going on in the background and the wonka wonka guitar. Cool stuff.

- The brass patches, while well implemented, are a little on the cheesy side, in my opinion. The rest of your samples sound pretty nice, so there's a bit of contrast. I'm not sure if the judges would harp on that though.

- The lead at 1:30 is a little loud.

- The string pads at 2:25 ish sound like they're breathing a little bit too much - check your compression on them, maybe, and see if you can't smooth out the transitions between those whole notes for something a little less jarring.

- By the end of the tune, I did sort of get used to the brass patches :)

- Nice ending!

I tell you what, I really like this. Nice groove, seems like solid mixing. Great job!

[/Modreview]

Thank you kindly, sir! I will have a look at the points you indicated, fix them if I can and then send it to the judges to be judged :)

One question though: I'm not a brass expert (far from it!), so how does one detect (and fix) cheesy brass? These are just Native Instrument Session Horns, not sure if they are cheesy out of the box or if I have a talent to make them cheeze ;)

I'm not familiar with those brass patches, but there might be some ways you can tweak them inside Kontakt to get them to blend a bit better. Most brass sample packs are tough to work with though, and that might be sort of an allowance you get from the judges. It didn't ruin the mix by any stretch, just something I would look into improving if I could.

The cheesiness might be because there are sometimes sustains in places where staccatos can feel more natural. Also, 0:23 - 0:24 (and 2:11, 3:07 and 3:17, among other places) sounds a touch stiff, so the sequencing seems like a plausible reason. Pretty sure Larry would catch it and have a nice laugh about it. ;D At 0:28, the brass-like synth patch might accidentally be perceived as fake, but I dunno. I think the guitar gets a little loud in the low-mids~mids at 0:42 - 0:54.

I agree that at 1:30-ish (1:26-1:38 ), the lead gets a bit loud. I'd say the bells are part of it. They're currently only adding the frequencies, and not really an audible pitch, so I don't think it would hurt if you lowered their velocities there. Additionally, the bells sound a little thin and inconspicuous after 1:38, so maybe it would be fine if you just changed up the textures by leaving it out after that? Or just maybe find a new bell patch with more body? And moar cheeze brass at 1:38, sounding a little bit "nasal". :)

I agree that the 2:25 strings on the left aren't feeling connected. You can probably help that a little by overlapping the ends of notes. Nice jazz doo wop vox, by the way. Sounds like the ones from Roland pianos or maybe Omnisphere. :P

Lastly, I'm thinking maybe 3:26 doesn't *really* need those bells, but that's up to you.

may be a good reference for this kind of style. Edited by timaeus222

Did some work on the mix, hopefully making it better and not worse :)

Tried to process most of the feedback here, so lots of small volume changes here and there (including ones not listed here), a bit of EQ to the guitar lead, some changes to the drums at the end, replaced and worked on the strings and mostly worked on the brass section. Tried different mix settings and also added some articulations. Unfortunately Session Horns is a bit limited so not sure what else I can do :P

Anyways, updated the openings post with the latest version.

Edited by Jorito

Elder Kirby was right, ever so slightly reminded me of SA2.

Everyone else has basically said everything I would (and you've nicely improved on most of their critiques), but being obsessed with mixing drums correctly, I'd say maybe a slight bit more punch to the kick. Something just to bring it out just a tad. Nothing too much. This isn't a type of track that requires a crapton of kick. Also, I'd love to hear some more stereo room reverb on the snare mainly. Other than that, the drums were programmed well and sound great dude. :)

P.S., love that slap bass. Did you play that?

I dunno if it's just me, but there might be some slight clipping at 0:47 due to the guitar.

Somehow the bells at 1:26 - 1:38 are still too loud, but after 1:38 they're fine (except for 2:18 - 2:30 and 3:26 - 3:31). Probably some sort of piercing harmonic still in them. You have any alternate bell patches you can find in Omnisphere? :)

Other than that, I would say that this is good to go. ;)