*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Frigid Fingers'

Chimpazilla

Pumpkin King

Joe Dumpe

youtube.com/pumpkinking872

Game: Donkey Kong Country 2

My arrangement: Frigid Fingers

Name of song arranged: In a Snow-Bound Land

I played this on my Korg Krome and used the German Grand Reverb preset. I played the tune slowly and simply. I also added my own section that was mostly improvised to build up to a nice conclusion.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I find this to be a simple yet lovely (and straighforward) interpretation of this source. The playing sounds just a bit stiff in some spots but I think that has more to do with the sample being used than the actual playing. Reverb is just a teeny bit heavy, the reverb might feel less heavy with a low-cut around 400-500Hz. It is mastered a bit quietly but I'm not finding that to be a problem, there is one louder section and the track has enough dynamics. Simple yet effective, cleanly produced.

YES

I have to disagree with Kristina - to be honest, this feels underdeveloped to me as an arrangement. Your performance is nice, but it plays super-close to the source until 1:13, at which point it doesn't bear any resemblance to the source at all until 1:48, when it retreads a simplified version of the main melody. The only significant variation during the source sections is in the chords, which are pretty simplistic and don't vary much in rhythm. The most interesting part of this remix to me is the improvised solo section, where your dynamics become more pronounced and your playing is much more expressive.

It's not a bad cover by any means, but I feel like the interpretation on this is too basic for an arrangement that only runs 2 minutes long. I feel this needs a lot more development in terms of length and reinterpretation of the source. I also agree that the sample might be contributing a bit of rigidity to this piece, but I think with a stronger arrangement that wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Sorry to come down so hard on this, but I really don't think it's ready for primetime in this state.

NO

There were some minor areas where the lack of realism in the articulations was heard, but it wasn't anything that would make me hold this back on production grounds.

The left-hand stuff for the first 1:12 was pretty simplistic, and the melodic treatment was very straightforward. Cool original stuff from 1:22-1:47, then back to the source tune briefly in a higher octave for less than 20 seconds before the close.

It's a cool cover in a vacuum, but I agreed with the others that for its short length, it was too straightforward of an piano arrangement and needs more development and interpretation for the standards here.

Still a cool piece, short and sweet, just something that falls outside of our guidelines for being a short, straightforward cover. If you're not interested in revisiting this one to flesh it out further, no worries, Joe, you'll handle it with the next submission. :-)

NO (resubmit)

Lovely piano work. Lack of length hurts this the most, preventing the mix from truly escaping cover territory. Everything is well created and presented. The part where things pick up at 1:12 is the most enjoyable bit, quite emotive. I think the mix needs a little more length and more you in it to cement a Yes. Super close with this one.

NO (borderline)