Mail:
ID forum: 30998

From the album project: Final Fantasy 9

Game & Songs: Final Fantasy 9 – The Mind and the Fused Magic
Composer: Nobuo UEMATSU
Link:
Comment:

Hi OCR,

I've made adjustments of volume on quiet parts. I've also apply some minor retouches : solo strings louder on 1st quiet section and rhythm a little reviewed at outro.

Fishy has confirmed me this mix will be integrated in the album.

Hoping you'll like this version:)

Not bad at all. Good part-writing throughout. A little punchy for my tastes. It's doing this thing where so many of your instruments feel like they're staccato and marcato, from percussion to strings to brass. To be honest the whole piece gets pretty tiring, constantly hammering away at my ears at that plodding pace.

I'm not sure if that's a good enough reason to vote NO. I feel like the mix has a good arrangement with expansive, interpretive ideas and good execution of that, but I also I'm really not a huge fan of the instrumentation and performance choices.

I'm on the borderline, but I can't decide either way. Gonna wait for other Js to hit this before I vote.

Listening through, I actually don't find this as unrelenting as Shariq's saying. To me, it sounds much more like a stylistic choice than an oversight in composition, and while the percussive, plucky orchestral style really isn't a favorite of mine, I think it's really well-executed here.

I'm coming in fresh on this so I don't know what the original submission sounded like, but compared to the source tune, you went well above the call of duty in adapting an instrumentally-simple source into something so expansive and adventurous. I think the production quality is a huge step up from your previous submissions that I've heard!

Reading over the old decision thread, it appears that there were some issues with dynamics, but I'm definitely not hearing any of that in this version. I'm more than happy to sign off on this.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

This is nice. It's tender hearted, and you've expanded the original tune skillfully. I enjoy the dissonance created with those trumpet stabs.

I can see where Shariq is coming from. There are points where the flow becomes strained. I appreciate the rhythmic exploration, but the result is a slight plodding feel. So there could be more finesse. I think you hold it together though. The strain heard toward the end of the darker section is wonderfully resolved by the very charming outro.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Big step up in production from your Asterix mix, the last orchestral track I heard from you. There were some sections where the instrument swells were really well-executed and wonderfully moving. I also like the ideas here more than that submission. This is a stronger, more confident piece. There's still some areas to improve though (for future ref):

- marching drums in the intro are slightly out-of-time and too at the forefront of the mix

- slightly plodding, deaden feel to the drums

- lead string (viola/violin) at 1:58 is not a strong sound, and the high strings at 2:12 aren't either

Good work!

YES