Your ReMixer name : Nurykabe

Your real name : Yann Vandercruyssen

Your email address : Nurykabe@hotmail.com

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : 18789

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed : Sub Culture

Company : Criterion

Composer : Neil Shepheard

I don't have a link to the original one but if you want, i think I can find and send you an mp3.

• 2 weeks later...

The game is a 1997 Ubisoft PC release, so I don't have the ability to track down the original. Maybe I can bribe Christian Pacaud with some cash money to ask around for some MP3s. Sucks to have to judge it without the source material, but Nurykabe's submissions have all at least shown legitimate rearrangement so I don't worry about it; would just rather have something to compare with.

Have to say that Yann certainly knows how to churn up the groove bias goodness with the beatwork and the overall flow. The delayed pattern that opens up the track is cool but tends to hang around too long and makes the track seem too samey. You do have some changeups with the synths for that pattern, but it drags and overshadows the other cool ideas you have from section to section.

Percussion starting around :48-1:03 seemed to be popping/clipping a bit. There was some buzziness in the low frequencies when the strings and drums came in; it was muddying up the soundfield and prevented the string up in front to sound clean. Minor stuff, but still could be looked at. Whole not a dealbreaker, can't help but feel the production could be improved. A lot of sections have light but audible hiss, and things should sound cleaner.

Cool horn segue at 1:54 to the next section, though the pulsing synth was dragging like a mentioned, plus the beat pattern was rather simplistic compared to all of the other creative stuff with the brass and bass writing. Sounds like you need some more intricate beatwork and/or another instrument to help fill out the soundfield a bit more, as things felt a little sparse in the background.

Probably just personal taste, but I think the drums were too loud over the brass from 2:26-2:58. I don't think the drumbeat should be cutting through that much and that the brass should be more upfront.

No idea what SFX that is at 3:24; sounded kind of like a baby noise, but anyway I liked it. Cool idea. This mix is close, relatively speaking. I like the ideas here, and the mix does evolve a great deal. Fixing/improving only a few things here would probably seal the deal.

Work on reducing some of the buzziness, hiss and clutter with your sounds. It was a much bigger problem with your Guilty mix compared to this one, but still a small problem here.

I think the pulsating beat from the very beginning needs to vary more so that it doesn't become so repetitive; that can be achieved any number of ways like dropping it out entirely, changing the volume on it, changing the synths for it more often, changing some notes in the pattern, etc.

Work on filling out the background a bit more, as the bassline and drums aren't doing the job by themselves.

Working on any or all of these potential issues, IMO, can only help flesh out the song further, make the piece seems like it develops more (and repeats less) substantially over the 3 1/2 minutes, and achieve a sharper sound.

Definitely KEEP WORKING ON THIS, Yann! And resubmit that Guilty mix after reworking the production on it. Your writing and instrumentation ideas are the kind of creativity we need. I'm pulling for you to get your material up here, but especially need you to work on improving your production skills.

NO (refine/resubmit)

Larry...I think you might be missing the forest for the trees. This track is exceptionally arranged, has interesting instrumentation, and fantastic dynamics. There's an impressive amount of expression and elaboration for its 3:30.

the criticisms you make that i can agree with...the brass doesnt cut through as much as it should...are way too minor to justify a NO. the biggest complaint i have is the fairly sudden ending.

still well above the YES line.

(waiting for source)

It's odd that this piece is pretty much the same four note pattern repeating over and over again. I guess that counts as the melody? In any case, it's arranged surprisingly well. Lots of embellishements and a changing soundscape really help this piece along, especially the amazingly groovy bassline and brass countermelody that comes in after the initial brass lead-in.

i liek it

YES

Revised vote:

Upon listening to the original, I gotta say that the interpretation factor isn't here as far as our site standards are concerned. The original is directly sampled and relied upon as the foundation for the mix. While the percussive, harmonic, and melodic additions are all well-done, the fact that they rely on that direct sampled riff means that this is a "remix" in the traditional sense rather than a full-fledged arrangement. There's a LOT of creativity here, and the production is solid for sure. I wish I could yes this as a result, but you gotta be more expansive on the source tune, rather than just additive.

NO

Looking forward to hearing more work from you in the future. Resub this one if you can rework the arrangement appropriately.

I don't get this kind of music. The other judges are singing praise over it, but it sounds substandard to me. Even as a piece that passes our standards, I wouldn't go as far as calling it "impressive." I'm also not hearing the "fantastic dynamics" as per prior mention.

The beeping synth thingo in the background doesn't sound too well produced to me. The delay effect over it sounds more like a fill-effect than an intelligent decision. The percussion is all right to keep the beat, but it's repetative and not particularly interesting.

I'm also hearing light clipping at 0:49 which I'm assuming is the result of the seguing between the percussive and non-percussive sections. Overlookable though.

On the whole though, the mix just sounds empty and flat to me. All the samples are dull, and with that delayed synth drowning the background, it's hard to appreciate the bassline or any of the other light synthwork going on in the background. The brass samples are flat and dull, even more fakey than other mixes on the panel at the moment that I had issues with.

I can't pass this one yet. I can see how the arrangement is creative, but there are so many things that need to be touched up to make this one reach it's potential. NO

I'll solicit my usual VGM connections for the original to be on the safe side. I'd like to make the comparison before we post this.

EDIT: Thanks to CHz as usual for the source tune hookup.

Sub Culture (PC Game Rip) - 08

Well now, looks like new sounds on top of the original. That's exactly why we have to verify before posting anything.

It's the ripped source (with worse sound quality, no less), plus additive original stuff. Nurykabe kinda plays with the sampled part of the original so that it doesn't quite sound the same later on in the track, but it may be just effects rather than any substantive change.

The soundtrack is just 10 tracks, and nothing else sounded like the mix, so I don't think there's a second source. Regardless, the direct sampling disqualifies this.

Ok remix, but certainly not an OC ReMix.

NO Override

Need some verification.

• 1 month later...