Amiibo insanity

Thalzon

Has anyone else been collecting those little bundles of plastic joy called Amiibo? I have and it's made me a crazy person.

Oh, sure, the first two waves were fine. Wave 1 arrived all at once and it was a joyous occasion. Wave 2 came in 2 parts, but at least it was all there. Wave 3 though... Wave 3 has destroyed me.

I missed out on the preorder craze for anything retailer exclusive. Rosalina, Meta-Knight, Shulk, and Lucario, all sold out and gone. I began stressing over it. When they showed up on Amazon I was overjoyed, but saw their prohibitive price tags. I began checking Amazon exhaustively, several times per day, every day. I managed to scoop a Shulk from Gamestop in the US, while I live in Canada.

Then Target exited Canada. Goodbye Rosalina. Oh, and there's no Best Buys on Vancouver Island, so farewell to Meta-Knight too. I finally gave in and ordered those 3 from Japan for $100 total, a steal compared to what some insane scalpers are offering, but the damage is done. I'm still checking amazon all day checking on my orders and seeing if there's changes and when the hell are wave 4 smash amiibos gonna be available and why are the mario ones not up yet and so on.

I don't even really want them for games. That's just a bonus, I want themed Nintendo figures and that's it. Have I gone crazy? Is anyone else struggling with this absurdity?

Has anyone else been collecting those little bundles of plastic joy called Amiibo? I have and it's made me a crazy person.

Oh, sure, the first two waves were fine. Wave 1 arrived all at once and it was a joyous occasion. Wave 2 came in 2 parts, but at least it was all there. Wave 3 though... Wave 3 has destroyed me.

I missed out on the preorder craze for anything retailer exclusive. Rosalina, Meta-Knight, Shulk, and Lucario, all sold out and gone. I began stressing over it. When they showed up on Amazon I was overjoyed, but saw their prohibitive price tags. I began checking Amazon exhaustively, several times per day, every day. I managed to scoop a Shulk from Gamestop in the US, while I live in Canada.

Then Target exited Canada. Goodbye Rosalina. Oh, and there's no Best Buys on Vancouver Island, so farewell to Meta-Knight too. I finally gave in and ordered those 3 from Japan for $100 total, a steal compared to what some insane scalpers are offering, but the damage is done. I'm still checking amazon all day checking on my orders and seeing if there's changes and when the hell are wave 4 smash amiibos gonna be available and why are the mario ones not up yet and so on.

I don't even really want them for games. That's just a bonus, I want themed Nintendo figures and that's it. Have I gone crazy? Is anyone else struggling with this absurdity?

I've seen Rosalina in my local EBGames :whatevaa: I'm fairly certain the retail exclusives are timed, just as the Disney Infinity characters were.

Anyway, I've only bought some of the amiibos that sold out and were discontinued and then flipped them. Heh, if only those people had known Marth is going to be re-released - bet they're kicking their own asses now. My friend Mike made a fortune flipping Marth Amiibos...Some would call us heartless thieves, I prefer to think of us as entrepreneurs.

I will however buy Lucina and maybe other Fire Emblem characters for myself. Definitely Lucina though, as she's become my favorite Nintendo character.