Remixer: Harjawaldar

Email:

UserID: 5793

Game: Pikmin 3

Song title: Nebulous Existence

Composers of OST: Asuka Hayazaki, Atsuko Asashi and Hajime Wakai

Specific theme: Fruit analysis

Link:

Comments: I'd never played Pikmin before and because there were so few games available for the Wii U, I went ahead and got Pikmin 3. I was surprised by how beautiful it was, music and visuals. After hearing the fruit analysis theme one time, I knew this was going to happen. So while the music was playing on the TV, I hooked up my guitar and started riffing along. It's a very simple melody, that is atmospheric and melancholic. I remember a youtube comment on the theme: "this music makes me sad". Yes, but in a good way!

-------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The acoustic intro and outro are lovely but the source connection is tenuous, it only seems to be chord progression. The transition at 0:57 into metal is a bit jarring, but then the source melody comes through clearly. I find the production of the acoustic and metal portions both quite good. I wish the transitions were a bit more transitiony.

The source use here is "nebulous" indeed though. I'm concerned that I only hear chord progressions except for: 1:01-1:32 and 2:29-3:00. That's only 62 seconds of source melody. Ok, I'll do this properly:

0:04-1:01 chord progressions 57 seconds

1:01-1:32 source melody 31 seconds

1:32-2:29 seems to be original (awesome, but no source)

2:29-3:00 source melody 31 seconds

3:00-3:34 chord progressions 34 seconds

If we count the intro and outro (chord progressions), we get 71% source. Without the intro and outro, only 29%. This is tough.

Someone please correct me if there is source in that middle section that I'm not counting.

Ok, listening again. I find the intro and outro too liberal, I have to really strain to connect it to source, in fact I really can't. If there could be some hints of melody in there, even a little bell timbre or something, that would do it. Otherwise this is good to go. Hopefully we can get just a bit more melody in the intro/outro, or even another source added in, or something.

NO (resubmit)

Hey Mads! Been a while :-) Really made me happy to hear some new stuff coming from you.

I agree that I like this track in a bubble. The intro/outro are quite spacey and it's great hearing your acoustic guitar coupled with a more fleshed-out soundscape.

I really want to give you more credit for source usage on this, because I'm hearing a lot of hints of Pikmin throughout the song, but the percentages really don't work out in your favor... The chord usage in the first minute is identifiable but not dominant. It's not until the switch at 1:00 where things really click into place.

I tried to connect 1:30 in your remix to :48 in the source, but the phrase never seems to resolve so it ends up feeling more "inspired by" than anything. But that connection might be worth looking into for Chimp/other judges, they might find more of a connection there than I am.

Production-wise, things are mostly solid - your acoustic guitar is impeccable as usual. The metal passages aren't as bulletproof - 1:30 - 1:59 felt lacking in bass although I could hear how you were emulating traditional black metal production style so maybe that was intentional? Guitar tone is working, drums are slightly stiff (watch your hi-hat patterns) but nothing was seriously wrong with it. Really, this comes down to source usage for me more than anything. I want to give more credit but most of this feels more inspired by the source than anything.

Keep sending stuff our way and definitely resubmit this one if you feel you can introduce more overt source into it! This version just isn't cutting it for me... will keep this on my playlists regardless, though!

NO (resubmit?)

• 2 weeks later...

Great instrumentation in your mix. You have some nice talent here with them 'tars. Your arrangement is interesting, you've created an eventful acoustic/metal journey.

The distortion guitar sections were done fairly well. I noticed there is almost no instrument fulfilling the role of the bass in these sections, with the guitars responsible for the low end. I don't want to say this can't be done, but it felt a little weird to me (I found my mind adding in a bassline mentally at times). Your drums could do with a little more humanisation but they weren't a huge issue for me as the production quality here is quite decent.

I'm with the others that source is your biggest issue with this track and probably the one thing truly holding it back. Tying your mix here to the source is tough in places. It was easier to pick out of your metal sections. I really don't think it would be difficult to bring the melody out more in the sections that don't have it. A tiny lead line is all you really need to brings these sections into line. If we can get more source integration this is good to go.

NO (please resub)

Edited by Jivemaster

• 1 month later...

I also wanted to check this out because anything Mads makes will sound awesome, but I also agreed that there was too much of the arrangement that merely had stylistic similarities to the source but weren't overt connections.

Besides 1:00.75-1:33.5 & 2:28.25-3:02.5, this sounded very scant on using the "Fruit Analysis" theme, not just looking for the melody. Even the mix's intro, which had a similar mood, didn't have those chords explicitly used in the original.

With some more upfront usage of the source tune during some of the other sections, this would have been a shoo-in. If we're wrong on the explicit usage or another theme is being referenced that wasn't stated/counted, we can definitely re-assess this. Still a great track, but it needs to have the "Fruit Analysis" theme dominant in the arrangement to be approved.

NO