djpretzel

email sub file Chrono Coma.mp3

AeroZ

Sebastian Freij

sebastian_freij@hotmail.com

www.soundclick.com/aeroz

Chrono Trigger - Theme

This is a track I made in one day.

I've mixed som small melodies from Chrono Trigger, Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Finaly Fantasy 7.

A track that you can listen to when your about to sleep. It' will do the trick ;)

/Best Wishes

Sebastian

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Memories of Green" (ct-1-05.spc)

Yeah, pretty cool chill track. TO will have the best idea on how well you've pulled this off, but the foundation here is pretty cool. The basic beats didn't change up at all, which is OK when you have a really extended piece that possesses some eventual changes, but just sounds like a lack of ideas at barely above 4 minutes.

Maybe it's just me not being as familiar as I should be with the Z64 and FF7 soundtracks, but whatever was in here besides "Chrono Trigger" seemed negligible. It helps us judges to elaborate on what themes you're mixing from what games, especially when they have large soundtracks. I'm guessing that section at 1:41 was something from another game, but dunno for sure, so you're inevitably not gonna get all the credit you deserve for the arrangement. Nonetheless, this had a fairly smooth (albeit undeveloped) piecing together of the themes from what I could infer.

2:45 rehashes :26 verbatim. Boooooooo. Though you had some nice ideas in between, it's still lazy and lame to recycle sections wholesale. If it was more creative, interpretive, and better produced, maybe you could get away with it. Section just plods along until the trite resolution at 4:00, which was a really weak ending.

The percussion and structure need more subtle variation for something so relatively short, and the arrangement simply needs to be developed further. In terms of dealing with the actual melodic content of the source tunes, even just from Chrono Trigger that I recognize, you haven't done much. Good base though, keep working on it.

NO

Those starting synths are very dry. I like the arrangement ideas you've used, but you need to try to back them up with some real strings or something, to give them a thicker, less basic feel.

The beats are all right, but dampen the reverb on the kick and snare.

Your lead is off-tune mate, you've missed the arrangement on that one. If that was intentional, that's even worse. You really need to thicken up the atmosphere in this. Give it some better bass. Try building up the beats at some point, they stay the same right throughout, makes them noticeably repetative after a while, especially when they drop out and come back in sounding exactly the same.

You have some interesting ideas, but for a day's arrangement, there's a lot of room for more work. Expand on the ideas here, work on thickening up some of the sounds and improving upon the layers you've already programmed. Definitely fix that lead woodwind so it hits the right notes. I can hear the FF7 reference in that, but it just doesn't work the way you've arranged the melodies to flow into each other.

NO

I would say that for a more chillout, atmospheric song, the opening pads are a bit sharp. Lots of high frequencies and resonance.. I would tone that down and go for something more subdued. You can still have motion of course. The drums to me seem too busy and perhaps too prominent, especially the kick. I would tone them down and maybe remove a few hits there. I think TO is right though that they need to be varied also.

Arrangement-wise you've changed the chord structure under the main melody, which is normally OK, but I don't think the changes you made sound very good. I would rethink them or maybe even use the original ones. If you want to change it around, try tweaking the melody also so it sounds more fitting. The chords being played by the pads tend to be voiced in a simplistic manner too, so I think you should give more thought to that as well so they sound more brooding and 'chill' if you know what I mean. If you don't know what I mean, the ReMixing forum would be a good place to go. Structurally, aside from the middle section, this is relatively repetitive and has a weak ending. You gotta think about where you're going with it, even if that just means adding extra layers of percussion or melodic/accompanimental instruments.

NO