Xenogears: Humans + Gears - History

Foxhull

The thing is, we would still have to chose among n00bs who are decently skilled, and can demonstrate the fact.

It would be completely doable, but I think we would have to have, rather than complete n00bs, people who have already demonstrated their mixing abilities, but have not gotten posted yet. SirRus, Ellywu, LAOS, kung-fu chicken, etc.

If we could gather enough interest among both the necessary n00bs and veterans, it could work really well, though, I think.

In fact, I may even run the idea by Brad for our upcomming proj -- OSHITS!

i was developing avaris's idea about the face off, but i was thinking more in the terms of a "Human" disc, and a "Gear" disc. There would be no repeats of tracks, but instead every choice would have to be different, and depending on how the style's would fit together, they would be placed on the Human disc or Gear disc, in sort of a story-ish perspective. Or the Human disc could be single remixer tracks, and the Gear disc(get ready for a metaphor) would be all collabs, sort of like a pilot(n00b) and the Gear(Vet).

yeah something like this can only be doable if enough people step forward and wanna take it on(even if it's saying they agree with the idea and wanna take on a mix), if that happens great im psyched. I'm up for coordinating and doing other kinds of communication work (it's my job, im a conference and meeting planner, this is like a daily thing for me)

But if not enough people step up...back to the drawing board, we'll have to see what rpggamer180 thinks before we do anything bc it's his project first.

i just put another sig, this one is much better, and the old one will be edited to have the actual font and a few other tweaks

as soon as enough people join, the "Recruiting Now" will also be taken off of both

also, i was thinking of a vote on a favorite concept, and it would a private vote sort of, PM me with your choice and the tally would be posted at the end of the voting period

While I love the Xenogears soundtrack, I really do not think you should not be the one to start it at this point. I don't mean to insult you or anything, but the better-known you are, the more star power you're going to get on this project. I'm sorry to say it, but you don't have the noteriety required to start a Xenogears project which would come anywhere close to doing the OST justice.

I really don't mean to insult you; I don't mean to suggest it's your fault that big-name remixers aren't going to rush to join this project, it's just a simple fact about the way projects generally work; if you aren't well-known, you won't get well-known mixers on your project. And Xenogears has a soundtrack which fully deserves to have top-calibur mixers if there is to be a project.

look at the ff7 project for more examples of this.

that said, i'll record sax for someone if they need it. i will NOT do a remix, though. i won't have time. best of luck, though.

Just wanted to say that I hope your project does well.

I'm pretty new here to the community myself and while I can kind of understand what people are saying in that if you haven't already spent the time to receive reputation for being a "well-known" member, that should not discourage you from at least trying this thing out and seeing it through. I personally think it is silly for someone to say that only a successful remixing project can come from someone who has gone through the correct and proper channels of gaining reputation from the community. Sure it helps, but that doesn't mean a project is destined to be a failure.

Even if you don't receive a great deal of support from "well-known" members or remixers, this is every bit a fun project that perhaps those who are not as well known can try out for. Sure people can make the claim that you shouldn't make it because "Xenogears deserves an impressive remix for it's impressive soundtrack", but if no one who has already proven themselves as a skilled remixer wants any part of the project, then what is the point of that logic? If they care enough about the music of Xenogears enough and do not like the results of your project, then they can always organize another Xenogears project. That's the beauty of Mitsuda's work, it can be remixed countless times yet sound vastly different each time you hear it.

Anyhow, good luck to you and I'll look forward to listening to this album.

-SkyeWelse

We are now in the process of starting to come up with different web design ideas and furthering the concept for this project. More remixers are starting to show interest. If you are interested in web design let us know.

OK, the next bit is an idea I came up with off of using a storyboard idea. Obviously I left out some of the more intricate details (the basis for explaining this idea is long enough no need to bother everyone with details) While Foxhull and I will be talking through PM's in further detail about the idea, we would like to get other ocr members thoughts, opinions, and possible cooperation in this grand scheme.

As far as the concept, an alternative that I have come up with would be to almost do a mini-project, which still might seem similar to a large project. Just take 5-8 source tunes, and set them up almost as a story board. It would almost be like one giant 20-25min mix involving all those various source tunes. All music has feeling and conveys some sort of emotion, with it organized correctly you could tell a story. Composers of way back when, used to do this. They would combine 4-5 songs into one gigantic piece. While individuals would have control over their own mixes, they would have to adhere to certain styles and ideas. But once remixers have chosen their source tunes, and explained what they wish to do with them, the different mixes would be organized in such a way to convey the storyboard concept. There are benefits and consequences to this idea.

The benefits would be: less artists needed, more collaboration and teamwork amongst those involved (which will aid in the overall mix becoming better) and everyone would have a much more hands on approach, it will give mixers with individual talents like (pianists, guitarists, vocalists, drummers) to use their talents in several parts instead of just a few, an idea like this has never been done before at ocr and if it is completed could provide for something very unique, it would give a chance to some mixers to truly create something more than just your standard remix.

The negatives would be: style restrictions, teamwork problems could arise depending on personnel and direction of where to take the mix, technical problems depending on what programs/methods people use to mix

If enough people are interested in this idea, we could do two large mixes. Each would be in a different style. This would be ideal in keeping with the Human vs Gear idea.

For example: The Human mix would involve more natural sounding rhythms, instruments, and basic musical ideas. The Gear mix would involve more industrial synth likes sounds, unconventional ideas, harder rhythms, etc... You get the idea.

The Human mix would be as if Scott Peeples did it. And the Gear mix would be as if Children of the Monkey Machine did it.

This idea will allow individuals to create there own arrangements, while flexing their individual musical muscle in helping others. If part of the song needs some guitar, the guitarist can work with the arranger in creating an awesome guitar piece for that part of the song. An idea like this can only be accomplished with an incredible soundtrack, and after playing the game and listening through all the source, this idea is defiantly doable.

We are now in the process of starting to come up with different web design ideas and furthering the concept for this project. More remixers are starting to show interest. If you are interested in web design let us know.

OK, the next bit is an idea I came up with off of using a storyboard idea. Obviously I left out some of the more intricate details (the basis for explaining this idea is long enough no need to bother everyone with details) While Foxhull and I will be talking through PM's in further detail about the idea, we would like to get other ocr members thoughts, opinions, and possible cooperation in this grand scheme.

As far as the concept, an alternative that I have come up with would be to almost do a mini-project, which still might seem similar to a large project. Just take 5-8 source tunes, and set them up almost as a story board. It would almost be like one giant 20-25min mix involving all those various source tunes. All music has feeling and conveys some sort of emotion, with it organized correctly you could tell a story. Composers of way back when, used to do this. They would combine 4-5 songs into one gigantic piece. While individuals would have control over their own mixes, they would have to adhere to certain styles and ideas. But once remixers have chosen their source tunes, and explained what they wish to do with them, the different mixes would be organized in such a way to convey the storyboard concept. There are benefits and consequences to this idea.

The benefits would be: less artists needed, more collaboration and teamwork amongst those involved (which will aid in the overall mix becoming better) and everyone would have a much more hands on approach, it will give mixers with individual talents like (pianists, guitarists, vocalists, drummers) to use their talents in several parts instead of just a few, an idea like this has never been done before at ocr and if it is completed could provide for something very unique, it would give a chance to some mixers to truly create something more than just your standard remix.

The negatives would be: style restrictions, teamwork problems could arise depending on personnel and direction of where to take the mix, technical problems depending on what programs/methods people use to mix

If enough people are interested in this idea, we could do two large mixes. Each would be in a different style. This would be ideal in keeping with the Human vs Gear idea.

For example: The Human mix would involve more natural sounding rhythms, instruments, and basic musical ideas. The Gear mix would involve more industrial synth likes sounds, unconventional ideas, harder rhythms, etc... You get the idea.

The Human mix would be as if Scott Peeples did it. And the Gear mix would be as if Children of the Monkey Machine did it.

This idea will allow individuals to create there own arrangements, while flexing their individual musical muscle in helping others. If part of the song needs some guitar, the guitarist can work with the arranger in creating an awesome guitar piece for that part of the song. An idea like this can only be accomplished with an incredible soundtrack, and after playing the game and listening through all the source, this idea is defiantly doable.

Great idea in theory, but then again communism sounds great in theory too :/. In the end it'd be a complete mess because:

A. You'd have to keep passing around the project in a circle and little work would get done because you'd have to wait until the project came back around again before you could work on it.

B. With all of those people collaborating, you're going to have serious clashing between styles and creativity and what one person may be trying to do the next person may tear apart.

However, if you do plan on doing something similar to that, what you could do is make everyone do a remix with some kind of beat (whether its fast or slow). then when everyone's done with their mix, you would collect the .wav files for each track (not the entire song but each individual part, it'd require a lot of hard drive spacfe) then you could whip some different parts up into Ableton live and create a megamix using elements from everyone's mix into a huge 70-minute bash, that way everyone's work would be included, whether its the main beat, a bassline, whatever and it'd be more suited to listening from front-to-back. Also, whenever thats done, you could release each mix individually, that way you'd get each piece of the story, then the entire thing mixed together which would be entirely different from everything else because of all of the melodies included. I'm trying to learn Ableton Live but I'd be more than willing to mix everything together into a huge mix if thats what you want to do. If I'm not being clear enough then PM me and I'll try to explain it better and cite some examples of what I'm talking about.

Yeah there are def possible pitfalls, but the benefits from the same process could be enormous. Hmm, that last comment leaves me open for another communist joke, oh boy

Doomsday, the idea with Ableton Live sounds great almost too good. I was thinking along those lines, to have everyone do their own mix with a few resctrictions and then put them together in a large storyboard "70-minute bash" mix. I haven't heard of the program before, but if you can do with it what u are saying that'd be pretty ideal. Yeah I was hoping each mix could stand on it's own, while at the same time be combined into the storyboard format. Your idea still adheres to the concept but it sounds like it would be more doable, and easier to manage.

If by any chance, you can throw together a simple demo or sample using the program that'd be great. Just take 3-4 simple melodies/rythms and run through the program for like a really short example, that'd be fine. The concept is in what you could say a "WIP" stage, but with ideas like yours we could create something much more concrete and something this community hasn't seen before.

Alright, I'll whip up a little demo for you guys, if you want to hear it at some of its' full potential go to www.themixingbowl.org and search for Sasha, pretty much everything 2005-2006 of his DJ sets were done in Ableton Live. His 2005 Essential Mix was voted the best essential mix and I highly reccomend you check it out.

Ok, I whipped up a very, very simple and cheap demo in half-an-hour, and obviously I'd put more effort and exponentially more time into this if you guys do decide to go this route, but this is just me playing out with loops I exported myself from 4 of my songs:

www.thevagrance.com/music/doodles/abletondemo.mp3

The songs I sampled from:

www.thevagrance.com/music/wip/why.mp3 (A pad comes from it)

www.thevagrance.com/music/vgremixes/dkc2remix.mp3 (Bass and some drums come from that)

www.thevagrance.com/music/wip/crystalclear.mp3 (beginning pad, drums, and hats come from that)

www.thevagrance.com/music/wip/reccej.mp3 (Reece and thunder come from that).

P.S. - Just checked the link and I exported about an eighth of what I actually made :(. I would re-do it but I got school work to do, you can still here all 4 songs being mashed up at that particular point though.

the mixing bowl webpage, has hit max users, so i'll have to wait till another user account expires before i can go in there and check out the guys work. I'll try to find some of his work through other sources.

Listened to ur demo, and as just a basis of listening to how the different aspects of the songs are incorporated it seems like a pretty impressive progam. This would def be something we could do, I haven't talked with rpggamer180(foxhull) yet, but im sure he'll be listening to this and deciding what to do.

What kind of similar styles, instruments, tempos, scales, chords etc.. would need to be followed if we were to use this program to create the super mix?

Doing a super mix would also allow people to contribute a solo guitar/piano/vocal piece for the super mix off of just a say one melody, or use one of the shorter source tunes without having to create and arrange an entire piece.

If we did the Human vs Gear idea that i stated before, would you be willing to put together a super mix for each? I'm sure you could put together a great mix, all of ur stuff in the wip has been really good.

In my opinion if we used this program to create the "storyboard/super mix" it would allow the individual remixers more freedom with their own mixes than my original idea would, and in the end we would still create the same kind of storyboard mix, and also keep with the Human vs Gear concept. This is sweet.

Basically, how Ableton works is its a loop based sequencer. Its unlike any other sequencer out there and you won't understand it fully unless you try it for yourself but the best way I can describe it is its kinda like what FLStudio is for MIDI, Ableton Live is for Audio, only x10, and it supports MIDI too. If you were to do a mix, it'd take a very long time to make as there'd have to be a lot of planning involved and if I were to do it alone it'd take at least a month if I did it properly assuming I only worked on that mix without working on anything else. My idea would've been to have every artist export a .wav file of every sequencer track in their song (for example, there'd be a wav of just the drums, then another of just a pad, etc.) and send it to whoever does the mix. Then, the mixer chooses which samples to use and scrap and cuts the samples to his/her bidding to fit the mix before throwing it all together. For example, on my little demo, what you can here are one of the drums from my DKC2 remix, the bassline is also from the DKC2 remix, the reece (distorted bass) is from the Reccej build-up, the hats are from Crystal Clear, and the pad is from Why. Basically you'd just piece together the entire mix instrument by instrument. Of course, in doing this some parts may get cut out and some songs won't have "lead roles" so to say in that they won't ever take over the melody, which is why it's also be wise to release everything individually.

As for what I'd need to do this, it'd make things sound a lot better and cleaner if there was a certain BPM restriction like 75-90BPM & 150-180BPM so things wouldn't have to be timestretched too much (but then again that might be too wide of a BPM range). Similar styles would make transitions a lot better and cleaner as well but you shouldn't have all one style because then it gets boring quickly, but on the other hand trying to go immediately from a happy track to a sad track comes off wierd, so as long as there's plenty of different "shades" of song so to speak, it'd be great. As for chords and stuff, it makes things a lot easier if its all C major or something but once again, it comes across as boring. All of the songs that I used in the demo are in different keys, but its all about using the parts creatively and if need be, chopping the parts up to make 'em fit.

This idea is kind of an extension of what you were going for, only yours reminded me more of like, a live performance set-up whereas mine is more like a DJ mix on steroids. I'd be more than willing to do this but if I do, it's going to take a LOT of time, then again, site projects aren't known for their swiftness.

Doomsday: WOW, it can do that to wav files, i have seriously wondered if there was ever a program that could do that. I could easily wait a month or longer, for you to use that program to create a super mix.

Keeping all the mixes in the same chord would be boring after a while, and too restrictive especially if the source is based off of some crazy structure. I think the tempo range is a must. Using similar instruments is also a good idea.

rpggamer180: I'm down with the two album idea. So the first one would include all of the remixes. And the 2nd one, the Ableton Live one, would be the giant mix of all of em.

Would we adhere to one style, or still do the Human vs Gear idea and have two different set of remixes and two large mixes from the 2 corresponding sets of mixes? Of course trying to do the two different styles would depend on if enough remixers who sign up want to do one style and enough want to do the other.