*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'Time Will Not Wait'

Chimpazilla

Remixer name: Ananassi

My real name: Kalle Kaunisto

e-mail: 

Game: Final Fantasy 8

Song Name: Time Will Not Wait

Name of the original song in the game: The Extreme (Ultimecia Final Form Battle Theme)

I have always loved Nobuo Uematsu's work. Well, who actually doesn't? Final Fantasy 8 was the game that introduced the whole series to me and I still find its music the best among all Final Fantasy games. This particular song is especially interesting because it has both atmospheric and energitic sections. In addition to this, it also has a very suitable tempo for metal/rock song and has incredible melodies to support heavy distorted riffing.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a NO right out of the gate because the first 20 seconds is ripped right from the actual game audio (a no-no with Square Enix) but also this is a 100% midi-rip from 0:00 all the way to 4:08 (at which point the remix repeats the preceding section, while the source tune moves into something else).  WOW that's a lot of midi rip, with unhumanized guitar and especially piano that sticks out like a sore thumb.  OOF.  

The reason I even paneled this is that the guitar work IS EXCELLENT.  The backing guitar work and leads here are REALLY GOOD.  Dammit, why did you have to do such great guitar work over a MIDI RIP???  After the midi rip section is over, the remix opens up into some phenomenal guitar work, such as the section starting at 5:29.  The drum work is pretty impressive as well, I'm not sure how much of the drum writing copies the midi (I suspect some is direct midi rip and some is not), but the samples you've used are working really well here.  Oh man, after a lot of great guitar stuff, after I've almost FORGOTTEN about the midi rip stuff... at 5:49 that stiff midi piano drops back in and takes a crap onto the track.... BLARG...

I hope we will hear from you again, with a remix that does not rely on a midi, at least not in such an obvious way.  Wow, great guitar skillz.  It's mixed well, too.  Sadly, this is a 

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to do but basically co-sign with Kris above.  The guitar sounds in your face awesome.  Drums are nice as well.  But yeah, conceptually, this isn't what we're looking for at OCR with regards to our Arrangement Standards (Section 4).  You clearly have killer music chops, so I'm really really hoping we get to hear more from you that departs from verbatum part/midi-rip territory into a personalized arrangement.

NO

• 2 weeks later...