*NO* Super Mario Land 'RoBiN ReMiX'

Liontamer

Hello my name is Robin, i'm from the netherlands.

I make music with my computersoftware, and not just normal music but also gamemusic. I got this website by a friend of me... I normally upload my music to _______.

I was logged in today and i was searching myself to death... where the hell can i upload my song? and how doi listen to a song someone submitted? If you ( or who ever reads this) could plz give me some feedback about how to do... then you might help me out very nice... thnx already!. BTW, i've tried to send the song as an attachement to the e-mail. Hope that doesn't matter...

the song is calles Super mario land... I don't remember which game it was, but maybe you'll recognise it? I just know it was a Gamboy game...

Hope this is enough for you... lemme know as soon as possible plz...

Cheers,

Robin

----------------------------------------------------

Pretty straightforward trance adaptation. Definitely alright for the old school days, but the groove is pretty basic, and the interpretation is very minimal beyond converting the original into a more trance-friendly format.

Took until 1:58 to finally do something a bit more original with the chords of the original, followed by the somewhat arranged melody fading back in. Once we hit 2:25, it was exactly the same arrangement ideas, except the lead was slightly different with thicker harmonization. Original ending at 3:21 was a pretty lackluster/"I-give-up" close, including that always tacky cymbal smash at the end that every newcomer throws in at the end.

You've got some decent ideas for the remixing the source tune, but the interpretation factor is low. Besides continuing to learn how to develop complex textures, listen to some of the more recently posted tracks on OCR and see how they rearrange and interpret their chosen source tunes in a more substantive way.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/sml1.zip - track 1

This is more of a trance cover than an arrangement.

This is basically typical run-of-the-mill trance. Really nothing wrong with execution or production--the song sounds fine. It's just that this remix is just the source looped over and over a few times. I don't really hear any real interpretation of the source. Granted, some sections repeat in a manner so it's not verbatim, but aside from that, exactly the same.

NO

Fuuuuuuuuuuun stuff!

Sorry to break it to ya, but this is a remix, not a ReMix. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the track, I can only cite two brief points in the song that really qualify as "reinterpretation": the little jazzy melodic alterations at 1:43 and 1:57.

You've pretty much cited the original melody verbatim here, but placed it among some standard trance textures and spliced it between neat little drum and bass breaks. Production is surprisingly good for the style, but that's not enough to slip past us.

If you have your heart set on getting a song up on this site, I suggest you review our submission standards, particularly the "What qualifies as a 'ReMix'?" and "How are submissions judged?" sections. From what I can tell, you have the makings of a great remixer. You just gotta know what we're looking for on OCR. ^-^

NO

Yeah, gonna agree with bgc here that this is more or less a straight up trance adaptation. Reminds me of old-school trance mixes from the early OCR days; nothing egregiously wrong with the structure or production, but a very conservative arrangement. Our current bar for arrangements is quite a bit higher than it was; you gotta do more with the source tune via melodic/rhythmic variations, chord changes, addition of original material, and so forth and so on. Simply adding trance transitions, an intro, and an ending is not enough. You're welcome to play the theme straight up a few times and use that as a base, but you have to branch out from there. You did at least change the sound that played it, which was good. bLiNd, Sir Nuts, sadorf, and sgx are all OCReMixers who work in a trance style. If you're still out of ideas, try listening closer to their mixes and see what they did there (compared to the original tunes) to make it on to the site.

As far as production goes... again, no major issues. The volume levels and frequency balance sounded fine, too. However, I'd like to point out a few things that could use improvement. One would be the percussion. The sounds used for the drums are incredibly cliche throughout the entire thing. At the very least throw in some sort of switched-up loop on top later on in the song, or put in a breakbeat somewhere. Anything to break up the 'four on the floor' groove that's going on the whole time. Not to say that you can't use that for the majority of the whole piece; you can. Just don't rely on a basic pattern with basic samples for the entire remix. Generally speaking, the synths got the job done, but were also not too creative in their design. 'Plain' would be the word I'd use to describe them. Add some spice to 'em - try different synthesizers, add more effects, perhaps some automation, layering with real instruments, stuff like that. Every little bit counts. If you don't know where to start, there are plenty of synth nuts on the ReMixing forum here at your disposal ;)

So, to summarize, I would first suggest reworking the arrangement to expand on the source tune more. Not just playing it on trance synths w/ a beat under it, but something more. I would also try to be a little more creative with your percussion and synths. It seems to me like you know how to use your tools well, and you're capable of putting together an enjoyable trance structure. Now you need to kick everything up a notch. :) Good luck!

NO