Liontamer

Contact Info

ReMixer Name: Fusion2004

Email Address: fusion2004@gmail.com

Forums Userid: 7647

Remix Info

URL:

Game: Time Lord for NES

Song Remixed: Not sure of title, Track 3 of the nsf (http://www.fusion2004p.com/Time_Lord.nsf )

Comments: I made it because F4T4L told me to. I'm sitting there on IRC and he DCC's me the nsf and said "Track 3. Remix. Now." I listened and after hearing the source complied post-haste. And here we are. D:

I couldn't find a name for the track, nor could I find the composer. But anyways, I hope you guys enjoy listening to it as much I enjoyed making it.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.snesmusic.org/hoot/kingshriek/TimeLord.zip - Track 3

Since this is a Rare NES game, Dave Wise did the soundtrack.

Lame/empty/plain drums, and bland/flat sounds the whole way through. Arrangement had some decent concepts, and the second half of the song was stronger, but the execution was too rigid-sounding (e.g. the strings and drums) and sluggish. I'm unfortunately not feeling very generous with my time during this batch of votes. Sorry, bro.

NO

• 1 month later...

Chung chung chung chung... (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Maybe this whole mix would sound better if you sped up the tempo a bit? It still needs work in other areas, but I honestly think that could be a good starting point if you decide to revamp it. Right off the bat, the drums reaaaalllly drag things down, and everything to follow just seems kind of blah... even though there are some good ideas in there.

It sounds like you're going for a sort of synth pop ballad, but even with slower songs, you need to keep things moving! All the lead instruments sound very similar, and the drums are plodding and stilted.

I'm awesome, you're awesome, we're all awesome... buuuuuut this mix could use some work. ^_~

NO

Whatup Mark. First off, I think you should probably take another look at the intro you have here. The opening synth is kinda harsh, and the transition to the 'main' mix is kind of awkward and sudden. Try to flesh it out more by actually leading in to the following section via fading in the new instruments, percussion, or something like that. Anyway, being groove biased, first thing I noticed about the meat of the remix was that your drums lack PHATNESS. The samples are very... plain, and the sequencing is mechanical. Add some swing in there, layer in additional patterns or loops, use fills every 2 to 4 measures, anything to spruce them up. As is, given the tempo of the piece, they ARE indeed plodding as pixietricks put it. It shouldn't be too hard to improve this aspect of the mix though, if you just put some thought into designing a catchy drumline. Once you have one, variations are no problem.

Your synths here tend to be big on the reverb and delay, but I don't think they contrast well with the other elements of the song, and they tend to be too similar, as pixie said. Now, when the strings come in later, that definitely makes things more interesting. However, it feels like that SHOULD be leading into something, but it doesn't, ultimately. Having them swell into a new section with new instruments and additional percussive patterns would be, well, awesome. Another thing that I think could help the overall lack of energy in the mix is more dynamics. I had this problem in an early revision of Perpetual Motion which was also at a slow tempo. When I focused more on automation and taking layers in and out, I found that I was able to make the whole thing more interesting to listen to. You should try that and see how it works for ya.

I think you're generally on the right track here in regards to production and arrangement, but you gotta step it up. If I had to give you just one piece of advice to emphasize on, I would say work on densifying the texture of the piece. More instruments, more drums. Give it the energy it needs. Oh, and eat some Papa John's. :)

NO