*NO* Chrono Trigger 'A Fairy Tale of the Wind'

Liontamer

OMG MROE CHRONO TRIGGAR?!?!?!?!?!?

I love this song. Perhaps my absolute favorite video game piece.

Ah...stuff!

-Xenon Odyssey

-Bobby Keller

-xenonodyssey22@netscape.net -OR- xenonodyssey@hotmail.com -I don't have one

-CHRONO TRIGGER

-Wind Scene

-Heh, like there is anything that hasn't been documented about this game...

-Liontamer has that covered

-I've nothing to say

My credit card number is...wait, I don't have one; nevermind...

LINKAGE:

should be the only thing on there...

UHH...yeah. that's it.

BOO SUBMISSION QUEUE LINE!

HOORAY BEER!

-----------------------------------------------------

Nice intro. The orchestration's thin and dry IMO, but the arrangement possessed interpretation via the changes in the supporting instrumentation. Wish the melody was more substantially played around with early on, though things got more liberal at 1:43. However, the lead and countermelodic writing from 1:43-2:03 seemed meandering and "different for the sake of being different" rather than having much other purpose.

Snuck in a "Chrono Trigger" reference at 2:23, I see. 2:03, 2:45 & 3:06 marked some additional instrumentation ideas, and I like how you worked to vary up the instrument choices/combinations the whole way through. But the texture was still way too sparse with the production not compensating for the very synthetic-sounding samples. Everything sounds so dry and upfront, with almost no depth or richness to it.

Even with the varied instrumentation, the arrangement structure was ultimately boring, as it just went verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus without much of anything else to break the pattern. Throw in some original writing or make the melodic writing more liberal and varied over the course of the track to keep things fresh.

Some potential and not a bad concept, but the execution was only part of the way there. Gotta work on production to add more meat and spatial depth to the sounds, plus add more unique flavor to the arrangement by daring to tinker more with the actual "Wind Scene" melody and/or adding some original passages. Keep at it, Bobby.

NO

• 1 month later...

i think where this isn't doing too well is in how firm and static it feels. the arrangement is too straight forward and the transitions, while working, are not particularly interesting.

the instrumentation is the real culprit behind the firmness and static in the track; it feels lifeless to a degree

of course it is chrono trigger and rides the coattails of the source but put some inferior source material in its place and watch it sound terrible.

NO

I think these are some of my soundfonts...though they're not really used well at all. Not enough balance between instruments, and the sequencing is very mechanical. The instrumentation is sparse. There is some original partwriting going on here, but its just not enough.

There's some harmonic messiness around 1:32 too.

Not a bad start, but you need to think much more about instrumentation, balance, and the pyramid of sound.

NO