*NO* Destiny 'Promyst Reconstruction'

djpretzel

Strikes me as a repetitive, but does evolve, and has some nice textures.

- djp

---

Hi OCR,

I am sending my recreation of Destiny's Deconstruction attached.

Honestly, I don't really like the game, but love the music. Marty is the man and this track really surprised me when I heard it in the game. So peaceful, you don't hear this often in "hardcore" FPS games. I wanted the remix to keep the atmosphere of the original track, which I hope I achieved. I cut the track into several samples and used its pieces throughout the remix. I was going for a little dirty sound, so please don't get scared with a bit of noise and crackle :)

Contact information:
Promyst
Lukáš Kunce
user ID: 54752

Submission information:
Destiny
Promyst Reconstruction
Deconstruction

I hope all the information is ok :)

Have a great day
Lukas

------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 months later...

I like the premise you have for this mix, but I don't think it's quite executed at the level it needs to be. I am getting the gist that you want the track to be a bit messy and then have it come together into bigger things, but I feel like a lot of it feels too muddled and doesn't resolve by the end. A lot of the parts feel like they're out of time, or the attacks are slow on some of the synths and have the same effect as being out of time. The claps are almost distracting for a lot of the mix as well. The pops and clicks are also fine in theory, but overall they are pretty loud in headphones and should be brought down a little.

The arrangement itself is a bit repetitive, but I feel like that is intentional and it doesn't bother me as much, especially considering there is some amount of evolution to the track. The original is quite repetitive in its own right, so I think you're on the right track there. Overall I think parts need to be cleaned up and, as odd as it sounds, the messiness needs to be planned out very specifically so that the resolution (might I even say reconstruction?) really shines.

NO (resubmit)

• DragonAvenger changed the title to 2015/03/26 - (1N) Destiny 'Promyst Reconstruction'

I have to echo DA, I like this premise but the execution is lacking.  The drum sequencing wasn't very interesting, the clap was too loud, simple and distracting.  In fact I think the clap did more harm than good, since the beat by itself is not keeping a very interesting or steady groove, and the clap is hitting at off times which is throwing off the groove even more.  The overall mix is muddy, which is not the same as dirty, which was your goal.  I think you probably were going for something like this, but as you can tell that example although dirty and minimalist sounding, it's also clear.  Our standards aren't close to what a professional can do but that example could help you get a better idea of clarity on a dirty mix.  Clean up your low end, give sharpness to your synths, and separation.

Regarding the arrangement, there is no real sense of progression, which the original, even in its minimalist nature, managed to accomplish.  The arrangement is very repetitive, although I can hear detailing in the background, but it's obscured by the lack of clarity in the mix.  I was not a fan of the melodic synths, specially the one panned to the left that appears at around the 2 minute mark, which was monotonic.  It could work fine as a background detail but I think it was too exposed.  The mix cuts off abruptly at the end.

There are positives to be found, the background textures were colorful and interesting, some of the envelopes were weird but I think that fits the theme of disarray, which I specially liked at around 2:45.  Sounds almost as if it was something being reversed.  The ambiance was similar to the original, which was one of your goals, and I must admit it's not easy to make a remix when there's not much to work with on the source.

I think with a better mixdown, and a clear direction in the arrangement, this could work.  For that to happen it would require some rebuilding arrangement-wise,  in my opinion.  In art, chaos is not random, just carefully disguised order.  It's a balance difficult to achieve, and I think more work is needed here to achieve that.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/03/26 - (2N) Destiny 'Promyst Reconstruction'

I like the idea here, but I have to agree this arrangement is repetitive.  Some kind of contrasting section or breakdown would go a long way.  The sounds are not balanced well, with some elements being too loud.  The clap does indeed do more harm than good because it sounds so generic.  The metallic clanking is so cool but it needs more effects on it and/or it needs to appear less frequently.  The clicks/pops sound more like rendering errors than purposeful sfx, maybe choose another type of sound for that effect.  I'm not a fan of hard panning, and you've got a shaker only appearing on the right side, and then a buzzy synth only on the left.  This kind of panning is a personal preference, but I just don't care for it.

At a minimum, a balance cleanup is required.  The arrangement is repetitive as the source is, which may work, but I wonder how it would be if the melody were brought forward more prominently, maybe even with some variations or soloing later on in the track.  This might anchor the track better even while keeping the structure you have here.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/03/26 - (3N) Destiny 'Promyst Reconstruction'