Emunator

ReMixer Name: LongBoxofChocolate

Real Names: Trevor Burch, Daniel Perry, Aaron Schmitt

Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/LongBoxofChocolate/videos

Game: Super Mario 64

Title: Frosty Britches

Source: Snow Mountain

Hey guys.

This track marks the revitalization of my ongoing project, LongBoxofChocolate.  Although it started in early 2013, it has been plagued with half-baked ideas, technical limitations, and scheduling problems...until now.  For our comeback (and first submission), I wanted to choose a simple tune that would showcase our improved recording techniques and new members.  Cool Cool Mountain was perfect, as I thought it was just begging to be led off with a sax trio.  I made a quick adjustment for a solo section, and the rest of the arrangement basically wrote itself.

We are still finding our roles in the project and refining our process with every session, but I'm very happy with how this turned out.  We hope to be putting out more content on a consistent basis, learning more and more as we go.

Cheers!

- Trevor

PS the name just comes from when Mario falls down the mountain and gets stuck in the snow, lol.

Source:

This is FUN! This is, admittedly, a very straightforward arrangement that I initially thought was too cover-ish, but the adaptation for sax trio and additional added harmonies nudge this over the bar, in my opinion. In addition, there's a great deal of emotion and expressiveness in the live instrument performances that, along with the solo section, lends plenty of character to the mix. Nothing groundbreaking here, but I'm totally on board with your guys' interpretation.

This seems like a great mix to post around Christmas time, so I'm going to flag this as a priority so if it does pass, it can be ready in time for the holidays.

YES

(Haha, my mind read the title of this song as "Frosty Bitches," omg that's hilarious.)  This is great!  The saxes are mixed too dry and upfront, but I'll live.  Guitars sound great.  Accordion!  Nice performances all the way around.  What a fun idea to arrange this source like this.  I agree it's a great holiday mixpost, you even outro'd with some fa la la la la....

LA LA, LA, LAAAA 

Dat stereo field got me trippin', boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

er.  anyways.

I literally just posted a vote on another track where the dealbreaker was the stereo field usage, and this one is really close to that for me, but I think what makes it stay on the side of tolerable is that there's always something going on BOTH sides of the headphones. I really wish you hadn't hard-panned certain things, but whenever there's something hard-panned there's always a counterpoint on the other side. 

The arrangement is conservative but the added instrumentation (guitar, etc.) puts it into proper arrangement territory for me. Mix is a little dry and compressed but honestly it feels nice that way, sounds like it's live in a small bar or something. Overall just a "fun" sound, too!

I'm sold.

YES

Nice mix of instruments and your mix certainly oozes creativity on a production level, where your instruments share pan positions and focus. I'm quite a fan of panning provided it's done well, and this is a mix which exemplifies that. Arrangement wise this definitely feels a bit coverish - there are the obligatory extra notes here and there, but not any major original sections or deeper exploration of the source that would've been nice to hear here, considering the amount of effort elsewhere. Overall though, a very nice organic mix with a lot of character.

YES